About Ocado Technology
“We are on a mission: to transform the future of online grocery through cutting-edge technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is changing the way the world shops using advanced Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Robotics, Big Data, Cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond.
We build everything in-house: from intelligent, frictionless e-commerce platforms to highly automated warehouses, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies. We’re working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast-growing, global company. Today we have colleagues in development centre across the world - London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria), Barcelona (Spain), Stockholm (Sweden), Las Vegas, San Francisco (USA) and Toronto (Canada).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
About the Principal Product Manager role
How will I spend my days...
The Asset Handling Automation department is responsible for a large portfolio of the physical automation that powers our highly efficient Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs). This automation enables our CFCs to deliver unparalleled productivity for our retail partners along with enabling new market propositions.
As a Principal Product Manager for the Asset Handling Automation department, you will lead several groups of Product Managers to develop these automation products; iterating existing products and creating new ones too. In a highly competitive grocery fulfilment landscape, the time-to-market of our products and propositions is a key focus. As such, you will be leading development which requires a combination of agile thinking with waterfall programmes whilst constantly managing the trade-offs and risks of delivering new products to ambitious commercial timelines.
Your responsibility will focus on...
- In partnership with the Head of Product, build a Product organisation that is both capable of delivering upon today’s commitments and needs of years to come
- Partner with the Head of Engineering to inspire and lead your product area to success
- Develop a high performing team of product people, supporting individuals to thrive and the organisation to succeed
- Determine product strategies and initiatives based on analysis and value proposition and work in partnership with the Head of Engineering to lead the realisation of products that meet these
- Evangelize the product vision so all stakeholders are aligned, have context, and understand where we are going
- Facilitate collaboration between the teams working on a particular project or development item and provide them with direction and oversight
- See your product through the eyes of your customer, deeply understanding the customer problem and how users experience the products end to end
- Collaborate with stakeholders to create a roadmap that meets the customer needs while being technically implementable, testable, and maintainable
- Constantly be monitoring progress, looking for ways to improve the product and make adjustments based on strategic goals through interpretation of product analysis
- Use a strong understanding of the current market forces, new technologies and potential future trends to influence product strategy
Prioritisation & Validation
- Balance competing priorities, resource constraints and dependencies to maximise value delivered over time across a variety of products including improving existing products in the field, iterative development and new, innovative development
- Balance and understand the trade off in different solutions against the core KPIs
- Establish appropriate processes for feedback gathering and sharing of information with key business leaders and customer representatives
- Accountable for tracking, reporting and forecasting for their area and communicating this to senior leadership as part of the Product Planning & Governance process
- Initiate and sponsor projects throughout the products lifetime in conjunction with the agreed product strategy and roadmap
- Communicate with large audiences and senior stakeholders, discerning appropriate detail and cadence
- Facilitate effectively to achieve agreement with groups of external and/or senior stakeholders who may have different goals or motivations
- Put in place processes and practices to enable effective communication with stakeholders
- Use fast feedback loops and experimentation to find fit for purpose solutions
- Create opportunities for your product team to grow their skills in gaining customer insight
- Provide clarity to product teams to focus them on the most important problems that deliver value against the key business metrics in their product area
- Understand the importance and urgency of decisions and makes trade offs to get great outcomes
We would like to hear from you if you have...
- Strong understanding of product management and product leadership and experience leading a product team
- Ability to communicate confidently with senior stakeholders
- Demonstrable experience of working in both agile and more waterfall environments
- Excellent interpersonal, collaboration, leadership and influencing skills
- Ability to see the big picture, without losing sight of the product details
- Sharp analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work autonomously
- Relationship management with third party development teams
It would be great, but it's not essential if you have...
- Experience in building high performing teams
- Experience taking ownership of multiple products at one time
- A strong track record in delivering high quality products in the automation space
- Experience in estimating the value of packages of work, and in cost-benefit analysis and constructing business cases
- Previous experience developing, launching and managing combined hardware/software products in multiple territories, in particular those based on PLC technologies.
What we can offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Hatfield Train Station to the Hatfield offices [Only include for relevant roles]
- Free shuttle bus to and from Welwyn Garden City Train Station to the Welwyn Garden City offices [Only include for relevant roles]
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.