“Ocado Technology, powering the future of retail through sustained disruptive technology innovation...”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using the cloud, robotics, AI, and IoT. We develop the innovative software and systems that power Ocado.com, the world’s largest online-only grocery retailer as well as the global ‘Ocado Smart Platform’. With everything from websites to fully autonomous warehouses that we design in-house, our world-class talent constantly moves the goal posts of what is possible to achieve through sustained technological disruption.
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture.
Based in Hatfield (16 min train commute from London King’s Cross), we also have offices in Krakow, Wroclaw, Barcelona & Sofia. With teams all over Europe.
What will I be doing?
As a Technical Writer you’ll be responsible for the delivery of all written content relating to the development and release of certain products or features for Ocado Smart Platform (OSP).
Working in the Central Technical Communications team, you’ll work on providing documentation for cross-platform capabilities, taking a high-level view of the full end-to-end solution, and also work with some individual teams to produce documentation and UI text for their applications.
When working with teams, you’ll be involved in the development of new features and functionality from conception through to release.
All features we develop must have approved UI text and user documentation in order for them to be released, so this role is essential in helping us continuously deploy new functionality. For technical features, such as APIs and data feeds, this includes ensuring consistent naming of data fields and attributes, as well full reference material.
Aside from working directly with development teams, you’ll be a member of a wider Technical Communications unit covering different aspects of our platform.
Away from the direct work with the development team(s), you’ll be expected to take an active role in furthering the aims of the wider Technical Communications unit. You’ll do this by contributing to improve the practices and working methods that are followed, and to enhance the clients’ experience of using the OSP Help and Learning Centre.
How you will spend your days:
- Producing clear, easy-to-read, and consistent documentation and supporting content, for end-user systems, apps, APIs and data feeds.
- Writing concise, usable UI text in accordance with the UI style guide, and ensure consistent attribute naming for technical features.
- Becoming a subject matter expert for the areas you work on.
- Working closely with Product Managers, UX Designers, Developers, and other Technical Writers.
- Understanding the needs of Training Managers responsible for training clients in the use of our software, to ensure help content supports and complements their efforts.
- Producing consistent screenshots and other visualisations or media when required, such as videos.
- Reviewing and proofreading other writers’ work.
- Contributing to the working methods and processes of the wider Technical Communications team.
We’re looking for someone who has strong technical writing experience and is a content enthusiast - who knows the impact well-written content can have.
Supporting content is a key deliverable within our solutions, so you’ll be someone who is keen to really understand how things work, so you can answer the questions our audiences may ask - before they ask them.
We would like to hear from you if you have:
- Technical writing experience for software, such as help instructions, user guides, release notes, and tutorials, according to accepted industry standards.
- Experience of writing for user interfaces, and to be able to demonstrate what makes effective UI writing and what doesn’t.
- Ability to understand the different needs of different audiences, and to be able to adjust the approach accordingly.
- Impeccable written English, and the ability to write consistently and concisely in accordance with a style guide.
- The ability to write easy-to-read, fluent text in plain English, and the capability to organise content clearly.
- Experience of working directly with development teams.
- Ability to understand sometimes complex flows or technical information, and to be able to explain them clearly and simply to an end-user.
- Ability to work independently to tight deadlines, across multiple projects simultaneously.
It is not essential, but it would be great if you also had experience:
- Writing for internationalisation - and working with software and content that is delivered in multiple languages.
- Using static site generators such as Jekyll, and writing in Markdown.
- Using Git, or other version control systems.
- Working in an Agile environment.
What can we offer you?
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Hatfield Train Station to the Hatfield offices [Only include for relevant roles]
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.