Ocado is a UK based company admitted to trading on the London Stock Exchange (Ticker OCDO). It comprises one of the world's largest dedicated online grocery retailers, operating its own grocery and general merchandise retail businesses under Ocado.com* and other specialist shop banners, together with its Ocado Solutions division.
Our unique, proprietary and industry-leading technology is set to transform the shopping experience of consumers around the world. We have partnered with Sobeys to help it redefine the grocery customer experience in Canada through the adoption of the centralized, automated model of online retailing provided by the Ocado Smart Platform.
Come join us as we build our North American team, bringing world class innovation and technologies to one of the most exciting global markets for e-commerce.
Our North American HR Team is expanding and has a fantastic opportunity for a HR Advisor where you will work closely with key customers across defined Head Office functions to provide a complete HR generalist service. This will include supporting the business on a number of people solutions and exciting projects such as system implementations, employee engagement, internal communications to name a few!
This is a highly autonomous role and requires confidence and a self-starter with the ability to work independently as it's a standalone role in Canada, Toronto.. You will work collaboratively as part of a broader North American HR and Talent Acquisition Team whilst reporting into the HR Vice President in the US.
This is a fantastic opportunity where you will be accountable for delivering a hands on, operational end to end service to management on the full employee lifecycle: from employee relations, performance management, compensation and benefits, through to developing tools and upskilling managers through training materials and workshops.
Something to think about before you apply: This role is located in Toronto however you will be required to travel to other Sobeys sites such as Montreal Quebec. You will require a full clean driving license.
What will you be doing?
- Provide pragmatic and professional expertise and advice on HR topics such as performance and conduct, family policies, diversity awareness
- Provide HR support to Management in absence, disciplinary, grievance and appeal meetings; provide performance management expertise and assistance to ensure a high quality workforce who enhance brand reputation
- Interpret and advise on relevant current employment legislation
- Work with the recruitment team to ensure all recruitment needs for the client group are briefed and managed effectively
- Develop practical people strategies with Line Managers which address business objectives - eg recruitment, retention, performance, development
- Work closely with key customers in a partnership capacity; coach and assist Line Managers to understand and effectively implement HR policies, procedures and best practices
- Work with the Learning and Development team to deliver and support learning and development activities relevant to the client base
- Work with the Group People Operations team to ensure the effective delivery of transactional HR activities for the client base ensuring that a high quality service is provided and SLA targets are met
- Attend and contribute to team meetings both with key customers and within HR; lead and participate in project and working groups on initiatives across both HR and the client base
- Utilise employee data and trend analysis to educate and work in partnership with Line Managers on people issues, eg absence management, attrition rates, focussing on retention.
- In conjunction with the Health and Safety stream and Line Management, ensure that there are safe working systems, procedures and policies in place at all relevant locations.
- Deliver, lead and proactively review training requirements for people managers, including workshops.
You may be asked to perform tasks as required by management deemed as a reasonable request from time-to-time. This job description is a summary of the typical functions of the role, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of possible role responsibilities, tasks and duties and is subject to review. The responsibilities, tasks and duties of the job holder might differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, might form part of the job.
What are we looking for?
- Proven experience in a generalist HR role covering both HR generalist activities and recruitment in a scaling international environment.
- Strong working knowledge of Canadian provincial employment law - incl. Quebec
- Bilingual in Canadian French is highly desirable
- Experience of working in a Corporate environment supporting Head Office functions.
- Experience of working autonomously in a remote working environment and in a matrix structure, within a multinational organisation
- Maturity and dexterity to navigate and cut through complexities quickly and sensibly
- A strong cultural awareness and an understanding of working with international teams
- Experience from Retail, Tech, Manufacturing, Engineering preferred but not essential
- Recruitment experience, agency management and coaching managers on interviewing
- Self starter; Confident decision maker with the ability to work independently but collaboratively with local and global stakeholders
- Effective relationship management skills; good listening and effective influencing skills
- Flexible approach to working hours to support a 24/7 business operation
- PC Literate – at least intermediate level MS Office and knowledge of HR databases and systems
- Flexible approach to working hours to support 24/7 business operation.
We have revolutionized the online grocery world. Our technology is at the forefront of our business and it’s the people, like you, willing to challenge the norm to come up with innovative ideas that have enabled this. We offer a challenge like no other, interesting projects to work on and a sense that you are part of a team doing something different. With this being our first site in Canada, you will be part of our success in a new country, with opportunities to develop your career within a structured path, whether it be improving your technical skills and ability or progressing into management roles. So what are you waiting for?
For a sense of who we are and what we deliver we invite you to explore online to learn more about Ocado Technology and Ocado Engineering, which directly support the Ocado Solutions division, and take the next step in what will be an amazing career with us.
Learn about our partnership with Sobeys:
Ocado is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, veteran’s status, or any other classification as required by applicable law.