“We are on a mission: to transform the future of online grocery through cutting-edge technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is changing the way the world shops using advanced Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Robotics, Big Data, Cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond.
We build everything in-house: from intelligent, frictionless e-commerce platforms to highly automated warehouses, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies. We’re working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast-growing, global company. Today we have colleagues in development centre across the world - London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria), Barcelona (Spain), Stockholm (Sweden), Las Vegas, San Francisco (USA) and Toronto (Canada).
About our team..
As part of our Advanced Technology division, our talented robotics engineering teams are working to automate physical processes that require sensing and judgement through the use of robotics and machine vision.
Currently, our focus is on robotic pick - using sensors and robotic arms to pick customers’ orders. We are proud to say this is already live at our customer fulfilment centre based in Erith, but there is still much work to be done to streamline and harden the system for widespread deployment across all of our sites. We need gifted researchers and engineers to help us optimise the throughput of the system, and to enhance the system’s functionality so we can take our robotics products to the next level.
By using what we have learnt from the development of our robotic pick, we have been able to create even more cutting edge products,which help us to move pallets of stock and completed orders through our CFCs.
Our division is growing, and so we need great software engineers and roboticists of varied levels of experience to join us, forge a great team together, and drive the advancement of revolutionary robotics and automation.
What will you do?
- Collaborate effectively in investigating and implementing sensor-driven robotics solutions to specific automation problems.
- Take an active role in the choice of technologies and techniques used in the development of robotic pick and pack solutions.
- Integrating and developing robotic components for our robotic architecture to enhance the capabilities of our robots. Get involved in the development of task planning solutions for robotic pick.
- Participate in the development of several aspects of a robotic system.
- Perform mathematical modelling and algorithm development to achieve real-time sensor-guided robot motions.
- Develop software that implements novel and sophisticated solutions to specific robotic applications.
- Document and present system developments and their software implementation.
- Have the opportunity to engineer working pre-production systems into a product which can be ultimately deployed in the warehouse.
- Keep up to date with the latest results in the robotic scientific community.
- Survey the state of the art in robotic research, from grasping, manipulation and control to task planning, reasoning and AI deciding which technique can be applied to solve our challenges.
We'd like to hear from you if you have...
The successful candidate will be a specialist in the field of robotics and an excellent software engineer able to translate her/his own and the team’s scientific ideas into reusable code. Ideally the candidate will have:
- A postgraduate degree in:
- Computer science or informatics
- Other engineering disciplines with a strong focus on software development
- Any experience or qualifications in task planning, reasoning, AI for planning or related topic will be highly advantageous
- Experience in working with robotic arms or hands, ideally for manipulation tasks;
- Excellent software engineering skills: ability to write reusable and clean code and to design software;
- Background knowledge in task planning, reasoning, AI applied to robotics or related fields;
- Good mathematical modelling skills;
- Experience with common software development tools and practices (e.g. source control);
- Demonstrable experience in developing software in C++ and python;
- Experience developing software components within a large framework/architecture.
Bonus points if you also have...
- Knowledge of how to deal with high uncertainty in robotic task planning / reasoning problems
- Experience developing components within a robotic framework;
- Performing integration of large or complex systems;
- Developing code using ROS;
- Experience developing on Ubuntu Linux;
- Developing and validating robotic software using simulators;
- Testing and writing tests for the developed code as a practice.
Please don't worry! This is not an exhaustive list, if you feel you're good for the role please apply and let us know why you're a good fit!
What we can offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Hatfield Train Station to the Hatfield offices
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.