We are currently looking to recruit an experienced Warehouse Team Manager (known internally as an Area Manager within Ocado) to join our team at Ocado’s state-of-the-art automated Customer Fulfilment Centre which is around 350,000 square feet and boasts world leading technology, that is predominantly developed in house at Ocado.
At full capacity we will be fulfilling between 190,000 - 200,000 customer orders a week from Dordon, which requires 24/7 operation from a dedicated team.
As an Warehouse Shift Manager, you will be responsible for managing the performance of a designated Business Unit, an operating zone within the CFC. You will work as part of a tiered management team holding full responsibility for all Production, People and Safety activities.
Responsibilities will include:
- Maintain health and safety standards, promoting a positive on-site safety culture ensuring SSOW’s / Risk Assessment materials for your business unit are fit for purpose are adhered to
- Publish safety briefs and implement sustainable corrective actions when applicable
- Complete adverse event investigations
- Publish Safety awareness material as required
- Create and maintain an exceptional employee experience within your team
- Be responsible for key people KPIs for your Business Unit including labour turnover and absence
- Drive the training and coaching of Coordinators and Personal Shoppers in your team, promoting progression and personal development
- Deliver the new starter on- boarding experience developing your team and driving retention
- Ensure your team of Area Coordinators and Personal Shoppers have the tools to perform their job to the highest standards
Quality and Cost
- Utilise Operational Excellence resources to actively improve performance and enhance the customer experience
- Contribute to and sustain cadence frameworks maintaining standards and generating improvement opportunities
- Communicate and report exceptions to other departments on site and throughout Ocado where necessary
- Manage, motivate and support a team of Coordinators and Personal Shoppers within a time-sensitive and demanding operational environment
- Responsible for the delivery and reporting of specific area KPI metrics including Productivity, Delivery on Time, Order Fulfilment and Employee Retention
- Lead Area Coordinators in the daily management of pre shift briefings, labour allocation, chairing meetings, addressing friction points, job allocation and communicating with internal and external suppliers including agency management representatives
- Work closely with other support functions including the People Team, Engineering, Facilities and Safety Advisors to enable the CFC to achieve Ocado’s operational targets
You will also be expected to:
- Undertake tiered management/personal shopper tasks if the need arises
- Stand/walk for extended periods
- Lift objects weighing up to 30kg (periodically) from the floor to shoulder height
- Wear protective equipment to ensure requisite standards of health and safety are maintained
- Train to use Mechanical Handling Equipment
- Work in environments ranging in temperature from 30℃ to -30℃
The Ideal Candidate will possess:
- Previous Management experience in a similar environment
- Knowledge of best practice Health & Safety & safe systems of working
- Strong verbal & written communication and numeracy skills, used to working with & interpreting large volumes of data
- Passion for dealing with people and focus to achieve employee satisfaction
- Strong performance management knowledge and practical experience of conducting disciplinary & grievance investigations
- Working knowledge of computerised warehouse management systems & core operating reporting tools
- Experience with performance metrics
- High levels of PC/Microsoft package literacy
- Be able to work shifts, including weekends, in an operational 24/7 environment.
Preferred (in addition to minimum)
- Food Safety compliance - Knowledge of key elements of food safety standards
- Experience of working in a 24/7 productivity conscious operation
- Mechanical Handling Equipment - Current qualifications / previous experience
- Previous experience in a continuous improvement environment & demonstrable problem-solving skills
Please note: This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts, requirements or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned.
You will work 12 hour shifts, 48 hours per week. You will be required to work any 4 from 7 nights a week to include both weekdays and weekends.
What will I get in return?
- Competitive salary and benefits including Free Shares and Life Assurance
- 15% off your Ocado shopping
- Onsite subsidised café and company shop offering discounts of up to 70% on groceries from leading brands and major retailers
- Private Healthcare
- National discounts including Vodafone, Merlin Attractions, Enterprise Car Hire and many more
- Enhanced Pension scheme - matching up to 7% of your contributions
- Employee Assistance Programme
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
If this sounds like your perfect role, and you feel you meet the requirements then we’d love to hear from you. The closing date for all applications is 20th October 2021.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Ocado is an equal opportunities employer and it takes its obligations under the Equality Act 2010 and Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 very seriously. We treat all our employees fairly and equally, regardless of their gender, sexual orientation, marital or civil partner status, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, pregnancy and maternity, trade union membership or offending background, or the fact that they are a part-time worker or a fixed-term employee. Our employees and applicants for employment shall not be disadvantaged by any policies or conditions of service which cannot be justified as necessary for operational purposes.