“We are on a mission: to transform the future of online grocery through cutting-edge technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is changing the way the world shops using advanced Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Robotics, Big Data, Cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond.
We build everything in-house: from intelligent, frictionless e-commerce platforms to highly automated warehouses, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies. We’re working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast-growing, global company. Today we have colleagues in development centre across the world - London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria), Barcelona (Spain), Stockholm (Sweden), Las Vegas, San Francisco (USA) and Toronto (Canada).
About our team...
Our Retrieval Robotics teams are at the cutting-edge of our technology engineering business. From the design and manufacture of the most state-of-the-art products in the business, to their delivery into our multi-million pound Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) across the globe, our bespoke electrical and mechanical development projects are pushing the boundaries of innovation and automation.
Within Retrieval Robotics sits the Bot Hardware Development function, which is responsible for the design, testing and manufacture of our automated products relating to our Bots. Our Electrical Engineering team is looking for a passionate Electrical Design Engineer who will be responsible for the design of electrical machines and systems for products that are required for Ocado customer fulfilment centres.
What would I be doing?
- You will be responsible for the design of electrical machines and systems for our products
- Specifically designing electrical harnesses for our bots and their charging systems, supporting international production
- You will drive continuous improvement, ensuring safety is a priority across your designs
- Selecting and configuring controls, power and safety system architecture for new automation equipment for AC & DC systems
- Identifying new ideas to improve our products, and producing reference designs to prove and implement these concepts
- Helping develop a rapid and flexible development process
- Preparing for manufacture (Bill of Materials, Harness drawings) and working with external suppliers
What you’ll bring to the role
- You will have proven experience designing and developing electrical automated machines, sub systems and components
- You will be proficient in using Eplan
- Specifying and selecting electrical components, for EU and International applications
- Power calculations and budgeting.
- Conducting and participating in design review for new product designs and changes/modifications to existing designs.
- Solving engineering problems plus relevant investigation activities, and present root cause analysis and solutions.
- Experience of developing products to high manufacturing volumes and full product development lifecycles
Bonus points if you have…
- Experience of simulation of electrical systems
- Experience of working with Matlab
- Experience of simulation, electromechanical architecture, Solidworks.
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Welwyn Garden City Train Station to the Welwyn Garden City offices
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.