“We are on a mission: to transform the future of online grocery through cutting-edge technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is changing the way the world shops using advanced Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Robotics, Big Data, Cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond.
We build everything in-house: from intelligent, frictionless e-commerce platforms to highly automated warehouses, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies. We’re working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast-growing, global company. Today we have colleagues in development centre across the world - London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria), Barcelona (Spain), Stockholm (Sweden), Las Vegas, San Francisco (USA) and Toronto (Canada).
A bit about us...
Ocado Technology is at the forefront of revolutionizing the online retail market with its highly advanced automated warehouses using robotics, artificial intelligence, advanced sensors, data analytics and machine learning. At the core of our online retail solution, known as Ocado Smart Platform (OSP), are self-autonomous and self-guided robots that are automating the operations in our grocery warehouses. Our robots move with ultraprecision using advanced sensors, automating the process of picking and carrying bulky items to fulfil customer orders and assisting warehouse workers in real-time.
You will be part of a talented team working closely across domains to solve challenging and exciting technical problems while pushing the boundaries of innovation within the Automation and Robotics space. “Who we are and what we do at Ocado Technology"
You will be developing high-quality solutions and systems that will fuel these robots through various stages of its life cycle.
What you'll do...
- You will learn deep technical knowledge and understanding of our bot systems which includes;
- Embedded software development
- Electronic comprehension
- Mechanical comprehension
- Be an active participate in collaborative design activities & support other engineers
- Provide essential technical support and be a mentor to our more junior developers
- Drive positive changes in both software and team culture / processes
- Build relationships with our bot collaborators to support efficient development
- Embrace new devices and devise strategies to validate and verify them synthetically and/or otherwise
- Collaborate with hardware control engineers to productionise control strategies
- Use data driven techniques to prioritise work, perform investigations, gain insight into our system and inform stakeholders
- Perform high quality peer code reviews and support others to do the same
We want to talk to you if you have...
- C / C++ - strong in at least 1 of these
- Ability to debug complex issues to successful resolution
- Proven track record for delivery of embedded or control software
- Experience of working in multidisciplinary environment and ability to bridge the gap between software and other disciplines
Bonus points if you also have...
- Java and SQL experience
- Statistics / data analytics
- Embedded driver development / debugging
- Basic understanding of electronics & electronic systems (actuators, sensors, etc)
What we can offer you…
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Welwyn Garden City Train Station to the Welwyn Garden City offices
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.