What does the team do
We are the Bot Services team in the Engineering Control Systems area.
Our mission is to automate and improve the experience of EngOps who fulfil various functions within the maintenance area in our Ocado Smart Platform warehouses in the UK and globally.
As a team we’re responsible for developing and supporting several applications that support the Engineering Operations (EngOps) team.
- The Bot Induct application allows safe removal and addition of bots onto the hive - guiding users through the process, testing that the bots are fully working before they can move onto the grid, and orchestrating the handover between other control systems.
- The Bot Config application manages bot firmware and configuration, and is responsible for seamless distribution of bot software updates across swarms of bots on live grids.
- Bot Scripter applications are used for controlling bots manually when needed. They support sending individual commands and scripting potentially complex movement patterns that can be used for testing new versions of bots and grids.
What would I be doing?
You will be part of a collaborative team of Software Engineers where you will mentor and help drive excellence in the team. You’ll be working with the team to find innovative solutions to complex problems in a timely way, working together to deliver fantastic products and services that will be used by our colleagues and clients globally..
What we are looking for
- Experience working with Java 8 +
- Excellent OOP and software design skills, with demonstrable problem solving skills
- RESTful services & API development / Design best practice
- Proficiency in English (both verbal and written).
Our engineers come from a range of different backgrounds:
Some of our team members have studied computer science, some have worked at large companies, some have only worked at startups. As long as you’re someone who’s looking to solve complex problems and feels comfortable working with ambiguity, then we would love to speak to you.
Diversity and inclusion are a priority for us:
Ocado is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employees are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.
This would make you stand out from the crowd
- Experience working with AWS
- A good understanding of CI/CD best practices
- Experience working in an Agile environment
- Experience working with real-time systems
About Ocado Technology
“We are on a mission: to transform the future of online grocery through cutting-edge technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is changing the way the world shops using advanced Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Robotics, Big Data, Cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond.
We build everything in-house: from intelligent, frictionless e-commerce platforms to highly automated warehouses, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies. We’re working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast-growing, global company. Today we have colleagues in development centre across the world - London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria), Barcelona (Spain), Stockholm (Sweden), Las Vegas, San Francisco (USA) and Toronto (Canada).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Hatfield Train Station to the Hatfield offices [Only include for relevant roles]
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.