“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast- growing company: today we have colleagues in 7 development centre across the UK and Europe, with offices open in London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria) and Barcelona (Spain), with a satellite office in Stockholm (Sweden).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
About the team
The Simulation Analysis team generates data and insight on the performance of Ocado’s robotic warehouses, based on simulations of real and hypothetical warehouse operation. Our analysis has a real impact on Ocado’s decisions around how to use and develop this technology. The team currently comprises five members in the UK and two in Bulgaria.
We’re looking for someone to join our Simulation team to provide valuable insight to the wider business. You will work closely with these diverse stakeholders to understand their requirements, then configure the appropriate simulations and convert the results into clear and meaningful analysis. Through research, experimentation and collaboration, you will become an expert in some of Ocado’s most advanced and complex technology.
We all appreciate being part of an open and collaborative team. We believe in the Kanban philosophy and are always looking to improve our ways of working. We work together to understand novel requests and warehouse scenarios (of which there are many), and discuss all our findings before sending them out. We work closely with the tooling developers to improve our systems and ways of working, and with algorithm developers to build a shared understanding of how the highly complex systems behave.
The role is based in Hatfield (just outside London), although remote collaboration is also essential both within the Analysis team and with teams from other UK and international offices.
What would I be doing?
A typical piece of analysis work may involve:
- Liaising with stakeholders to understand their requirements
- Determining how best to answer these questions, which might be existing data, a spreadsheet model, a suite of simulations, or even not to answer at all
- Anticipating any additional functionality required (to the simulation, algorithms or tooling), and communicating with the relevant development teams
- Planning and configuring appropriate simulation studies
- In-depth analysis of the results, building a complete picture of the simulation behaviour
- Running further experiments and investigations into any unexpected or interesting behaviours
- Producing an accessible and understandable summary of the results, at the appropriate level of detail, with a clear description of the limitations and assumptions made
The analysis will typically involve using some of the following (previous experience desirable): Microsoft Excel, Python (e.g. Jupyter, Pandas), SQL, Google BigQuery, Google Data Studio.
As a senior analyst, you will use your knowledge and experience to help:
- Demonstrate analysis best practices and define standards within the team
- Provide technical leadership on challenging investigations
- Mentor junior team members in both technical and soft skills
- Improve our ways of working so that the team can deliver more valuable insight consistently, reliably and efficiently
We’re interested in speaking to people who have:
- A track record of delivering valuable insight based on data-driven research
- A highly developed intuition for how to approach open-ended analysis
- Experience working with a range of stakeholders, building a deep understanding of their requirements and translating this into specific answerable questions
- The empathy and mental flexibility to thoroughly understand both technical and business viewpoints, and to translate fluently between the two
- A history of continually and rapidly learning new ideas and domains, and using new tools and approaches to solve challenging problems
- Proven numeracy and proficiency working with data, probably demonstrated by professional research or analysis experience on top of a good STEM degree (or higher) from a top university
- A keen eye for detail, with the inquisitiveness and drive to understand things in depth
- Drive to continually improve themselves and their team, and to find better ways of working
Bonus points if you also have...
- Python, SQL, Google Data Studio/BigQuery, advanced spreadsheet use
- Any other analysis tools or approaches
- Use of simulation to understand complex systems
- Applied statistics (e.g. significance testing, regression, machine learning)
- Retail operations, or Ocado’s new “Rainbow” CFC technology
- Working with software development teams and business stakeholders
- Kanban or other agile methodologies
In your cover letter, it would be great if you could please include a brief description of a substantial piece of analysis that you have carried out, including a summary of its purpose, the specific challenges and how you approached the task.
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Please note that unfortunately we are unable to cover the cost of your visa at this time. We do cover the relevant company costs for visa sponsorship. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.