We are currently looking to recruit a Warehouse Shift Manager (known internally to Ocado as an Area Manager) to work nights at Ocado's state-of-the-art Customer Fulfilment Centre based in Erith, Kent. This site is 563,000 square feet and boasts world leading technology, which is predominantly developed in house at Ocado. At full capacity we will be fulfilling over 200,000 customer orders a week, which requires a 24/7 operation and a dedicated team of colleagues and managers who lead by example.
Working at the forefront of our Customer Fulfilment Centre's, our Area Managers should be engaging and able to deliver direction and motivation to our Warehouse Personal Shoppers and Coordinators. You will be responsible for meeting agreed targets and standards within your respective work areas, within a time-sensitive and demanding operational environment ensuring effective contribution to deliver optimum productivity.
You must be an experienced manager, capable of dealing with all issues and situations that arise from managing people, ideally within a FMCG production, automated warehouse or distribution centre environment.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Be responsible for the delivery and reporting of specific area KPI metrics, including Productivity, Delivery on Time, Order Fulfilment and Employee Retention, whilst managing individual performance against these agreed standards and targets
- To carry out and chair investigations, disciplinaries, welfare meetings and probation reviews with the assistance and support of the People team
- Maintain health and safety standards, promoting a positive on-site safety culture ensuring SSOWs/Risk Assessment materials for your business unit are fit for purpose are adhered to
- Pro-actively report production issues and ensure all relevant and operationally critical issues / incidents are identified and resolved / escalated, to minimise disruption to productivity levels and customer volume targets with your work area
- Work closely with other support functions including the People Team, Engineering, Facilities and Safety Advisors to enable the CFC to achieve Ocado’s operational targets
- Continuous improvement of your designated area – regularly focus on and proactively seek to implement smarter ways of working or adopt best practice ideas whenever reasonably practical, to improve overall work area/ zone productivity
You may also be asked to perform tasks as required by management deemed as a reasonable request. This job description is a summary of the typical functions of the role, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of possible role responsibilities, tasks and duties and is subject to review. The responsibilities, tasks and duties of the job holder might differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, might form part of the job.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- You should lead by example by setting and stretching targets and setting clear objectives for both yourself and your team
- You need to be able to demonstrate the ability to really engage and enthuse a diverse team in a time-constrained environment
- Ability to develop strong working relationships with other internal teams such as HR, Engineering and Resource Planning
- Strong IT skills are essential and you must be comfortable using an iPad and various software packages to interpret data
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to communicate, coach, develop, motivate and build effective relationships within your team
- The ability to make objective, consistent and well thought through decisions, including prioritising and delegating when appropriate
What else do you need to know?
You will also be expected to:
- Undertake tiered management/personal shopper tasks if the need arises
- Stand/walk for extended periods
- Lift objects weighing up to 30kg (periodically) from the floor to shoulder height
- Wear protective equipment to ensure requisite standards of health and safety are maintained
- Train to use Mechanical Handling Equipment
- Work in environments ranging in temperature from 30℃ to -30℃
Our Managers live the value “We’re In It Together” – so a hands on approach is a must, as well as flexibility to working alternative shifts when required. In return for your hard work and dedication, you will have the opportunity to further develop your career either into more senior positions within the warehouse or sideways into other departments.
As an Area Manager with Ocado, you will work 12.5 hour shifts, 48 hours per week following a roster pattern. You will be required to work any 4 from 7 days a week to include both weekdays and weekends.
You will be paid a competitive salary of around £30,000 per annum, which is dependent on previous experience. In addition to this and as a night shift worker, you will also be paid an additional night shift premium.
What will I get in return?
- Competitive salary and benefits including Free Shares and Life Assurance
- 15% off your Ocado shopping
- Onsite subsidised café and company shop offering discounts of up to 70% on groceries from leading brands and major retailers
- Private Healthcare
- National discounts including Vodafone, Merlin Attractions, Enterprise Car Hire and many more
- Enhanced Pension scheme - matching up to 7% of your contributions
- Employee Assistance Programme
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Ocado is an equal opportunities employer and it takes its obligations under the Equality Act 2010 and Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 very seriously. We treat all our employees fairly and equally, regardless of their gender, sexual orientation, marital or civil partner status, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, pregnancy and maternity, trade union membership or offending background, or the fact that they are a part-time worker or a fixed-term employee. Our employees and applicants for employment shall not be disadvantaged by any policies or conditions of service which cannot be justified as necessary for operational purposes.