What does the team do
We are the Warehouse Control Systems team in the Engineering Control Systems area.
Our flagship product, the Warehouse Control System, is a software layer sitting between low level hardware controllers and business logic applications. It is aimed at hiding the complexities of communication with the hardware, and abstracting layout details of specific warehouses. The system tracks movement of all containers on conveyors (e.g. going through various stations), and controls hardware at junctions to route containers to their destinations.
Another system we develop controls machines that automatically put bags into empty delivery containers. This includes a frontend for monitoring the bagging operation. Other applications we are responsible for control automated washing of hive storage containers, interface between the hive and conveyors, and parts of the fulfilment operation for frozen goods.
All of our control systems are real-time, highly available applications running in AWS - which creates some interesting challenges!
What would I be doing?
You will be part of a small team of Software Engineers where you will mentor and help drive excellence in the team.
As a Senior Software Engineer you will get the work on our real-time control systems that are highly available applications running in AWS - which creates some interesting challenges!
What we are looking for
- Excellent understanding of OOP and software design
- Experience in Java 8+ (we use Java 11+) or other OO languages
- Passionate about developing high-quality enterprise software
- Experience working in an Agile continuous delivery environment
- Experience working with micro-services
- Proficiency in English (both verbal and written).
This would make you stand out from the crowd:
- Knowledge of AWS
- Experience working with real-time systems
- Understanding of functional programming
About Ocado Technology
“We are on a mission: to transform the future of online grocery through cutting-edge technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is changing the way the world shops using advanced Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Robotics, Big Data, Cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond.
We build everything in-house: from intelligent, frictionless e-commerce platforms to highly automated warehouses, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies. We’re working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast-growing, global company. Today we have colleagues in development centre across the world - London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria), Barcelona (Spain), Stockholm (Sweden), Las Vegas, San Francisco (USA) and Toronto (Canada).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Hatfield Train Station to the Hatfield offices [Only include for relevant roles]
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.