What does the team do
The Automation Team works within the Ocean Infrastructure department to architect, develop, maintain & support automation solutions in various forms. Their objective is to eradicate manual toil by developing effective, robust & user-friendly applications & services that support both Ocean Infrastructure and the wider Ocean department. These offerings include self-service web applications (including web frontends & REST APIs), API integrations (inter-service "glue" components), scripting solutions and an in-house application platform. They develop first and foremost in Python, using Django & Django Rest Framework to assemble web services, Gitlab CI for automated build-test-deploy cycles, and Ansible for automated provisioning.
The Ocean Infrastructure department consists of several specialised teams oriented around maintaining & evolving infrastructure systems for the Ocean department. These include hardware, VMs, databases and CMDB. Their customers are software developers who create & own business-critical applications in Ocean.
What would I be doing?
The Automation team’s primary objective is to improve & automate processes currently undertaken manually within Ocean’s Infrastructure areas. You will work as part of this small, expert development team focused on infrastructure. You will be a true team player with a “can do” attitude, and exhibit an authentic customer service mindset. Your enthusiasm to work both autonomously and collaboratively, as well as your passion for & knowledge about automation & DevOps principles, will augment the team’s capacity to design & create software deliverables of the highest standard.
You will be responsible for operating & supporting the full lifecycle of existing infrastructure, as well as researching & implementing new software solutions with a demonstrable return on investment.
- Engaging in improving the whole lifecycle of Python & Linux-based infrastructure automation services - from inception and design, through to engineering, deployment, and operations.
- Participating in regular stand-ups, planning & retrospective meetings in order to identify goals, manage workload and help improve team relationships.
- Creating effective and sustainable automated solutions in collaboration with others.
- Ensuring that code development adheres to Ocado SDLC guidelines.
- Maintaining products once they are live by measuring and reporting availability, performance and overall system health against SLOs.
What we are looking for
- Familiarity with Bash, Git & Docker.
- Working knowledge of Linux systems & scripting.
- Comprehensive experience with Python programming.
- Experience with the full Software Development Life Cycle
- Experience with Python web development (Django + Rest Framework).
- Proven competency in designing, implementing & optimising systems.
- Strong problem solving skills using methodical, logical & creative approaches.
- Experience using Ansible & Gitlab CI or similar automated build/provision mechanisms.
- A passion for developing robust, reusable, elegant object-oriented code & libraries.
- Excellent interpersonal skills (both written & verbal) and a desire to collaborate.
This would make you stand out from the crowd
- Enthusiasm for User Experience design.
- Skill at algorithmic analysis & optimisation.
- An understanding of DevOps principles and Continuous Integration.
- An ability to quickly learn new tools, libraries & interface with novel APIs.
- Experience in estimating effort to deliver features, and in cost-benefit analysis.
About Ocado Technology
“We are on a mission: to transform the future of online grocery through cutting-edge technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is changing the way the world shops using advanced Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Robotics, Big Data, Cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond.
We build everything in-house: from intelligent, frictionless e-commerce platforms to highly automated warehouses, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies. We’re working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast-growing, global company. Today we have colleagues in development centre across the world - London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria), Barcelona (Spain), Stockholm (Sweden), Las Vegas, San Francisco (USA) and Toronto (Canada).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Hatfield Train Station to the Hatfield offices
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.