“Ocado Technology, powering the future of retail through sustained disruptive technology innovation...”
Ocado Technology is one of the largest technology organisations in Europe, with 2500 colleagues across multiple countries, including more than 150 product managers. Despite our scale, we operate as a collection of small, highly autonomous product teams to enable us to move at pace. We are constantly looking to improve how we work to become a world leader in effective software and hardware development.
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
About the Principal Product Manager role
As Principal Product Manager you will provide product and organisational leadership for the Bot Systems product team comprised of Product Managers. The 'Bot' is the poster boy and backbone product for Ocado's automated OSP warehouses. The Bot systems product teams cover a wide range of products spanning the entire lifecycle. From designing and launching new products to manufacturing operational support products that range from pure hardware to pure software and all that lies in between. This role partners directly with the Head of Engineering for Bot Systems sharing accountability for key decisions, achieving commitments to the delivery plan and providing constructive challenge to focus effort on the missions that are important for Ocado Technology and its stakeholders.
Your responsibilities will include:
- In partnership with the Head of Product, build a Product organisation that is both capable of delivering upon today’s commitments and needs of years to come
- Partner with the Head of Engineering to inspire and lead your product area to success
- Develop a high performing team of product people, supporting individuals to thrive and the organisation to succeed
- Determine product strategies and initiatives based on analysis and value proposition and work in partnership with the Head of Engineering to lead the realisation of products that meet these
- Evangelize the product vision so all stakeholders are aligned, have context, and understand where we are going
- See your product through the eyes of your customer, deeply understanding the customer problem and how users experience the products end to end
- Collaborate with stakeholders to create a roadmap that meets the customer needs while being technically implementable, testable, and maintainable
- Constantly be monitoring progress, looking for ways to improve the product and make adjustments based on strategic goals through interpretation of product analysis
- Use a strong understanding of the current market forces, new technologies and potential future trends to influence product strategy
- Use fast feedback loops and experimentation to find fit for purpose solutions
- Create opportunities for your product team to grow their skills in gaining customer insight
- Provide clarity to product teams to focus them on the most important problems that deliver value against the key business metrics in their product area
- Understand the importance and urgency of decisions and makes trade offs to get great outcomes
Prioritisation & Validation
- Balance competing priorities, resource constraints and dependencies to maximise value delivered over time across a variety of products including improving existing products in the field, iterative development and new, innovative development
- Balance and understand the trade off in different solutions against the core KPIs
- Accountable for tracking, reporting and forecasting for their area and communicating this to senior leadership as part of the Product Planning & Governance process
We would like to hear from you if you have...
- Strong understanding of product management and product leadership and experience leading a product team
- Ability to communicate confidently with senior stakeholders
- Demonstrable experience of working in an agile environment
- Excellent interpersonal, collaboration, leadership and influencing skills
- Ability to see the big picture, without losing sight of the product details
- Sharp analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work autonomously
- Relationship management with third party development teams
It would be a bonus if you have...
- Previous experience launching and managing combined hardware/software products in multiple territories
- Variant management of products
What we can offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Please note that unfortunately we are unable to cover the cost of your visa, except the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.