What does the team do
Our Handling Robotics teams are at the cutting-edge of our technology engineering business. From the design and manufacture of the most state-of-the-art products in the business, to their delivery into our multi-million pound Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) across the globe, our bespoke electrical and mechanical development projects are pushing the boundaries of innovation and automation.
Within Handling Robotics sits our Automation Controls Team who are responsible for all aspects of the software that directly controls the material handling equipment that makes the Ocado online shopping solution unique. We are seeking a passionate PLC Engineer to contribute to the needs of the business by working as part of our extraordinary team on designated software development projects, with an emphasis on writing robust, effective code, and developing, maintaining, deploying and supporting high-quality software systems.
What will I be doing?
Designing electrical machines and systems for products that are required for Ocado customer fulfilment centres.
- Working with the Team Lead and Product Manager to:
- Keep system quality high
- Foster collaboration within the team and with engineers from other teams.
- Learn and understand engineering principles such as:
- Continuous improvement
- Fail fast philosophy
- Design for manufacturing
- Design for operation
- Rapid Prototyping
- Product Scope:
- Define cable routing within the control panel and external machine using Eplan SmartWire
- Check all modifications and new designs are fully detailed and documented. Schedule and lead technical project reviews based on the project deliverables and milestones
- Technical Scope:
- Internalise and maintain electrical drawings provided by third parties into ocado standards.
- Designing by Selecting and configuring controls, power and safety system architecture for new automation equipment for AC & DC systems.
- Identifying new ideas to improve our products, and producing reference designs to prove and implement these concepts.
- Helping develop a rapid and flexible development process.
- Preparing for manufacture (Bill of Materials, Harness drawings) and working with external suppliers.
- Designing automated machines, their sub systems or their components using control systems, machinery systems and sub-systems
- Specifying and selecting electrical components, for EU and International applications
- Power calculations and budgeting.
- Conducting and participating in design review for new product designs and changes/modifications to existing designs.
- Solving engineering problems plus relevant investigation activities, and present root cause analysis and solutions.
- Approving and signing off drawings.
- Supporting the transfer to a contract manufacturer for machines with production volumes from 10 offs to 10000s
- Working with relevant regulations.
- Be able to review design outputs from both internal and external design resources.
- Advising on test procedures and test rigs
- Support development of design verification test plans.
What we are looking for
- Ability to select standard components and design automation products.
- Experience of:
- Working on electrical cabinets and control systems for global application.
- Demonstrated evidence of working with suppliers and contract manufacturers.
- Experience of developing products to high manufacturing volumes.
- Experience of full product development lifecycle.
This would make you stand out from the crowd
- Experience of simulation of electrical systems
- Experience of working with Siemens PLC
- Experience of simulation, electromechanical architecture, Solidworks.
About Ocado Technology
“We are on a mission: to transform the future of online grocery through cutting-edge technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is changing the way the world shops using advanced Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Robotics, Big Data, Cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond.
We build everything in-house: from intelligent, frictionless e-commerce platforms to highly automated warehouses, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies. We’re working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast-growing, global company. Today we have colleagues in development centre across the world - London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria), Barcelona (Spain), Stockholm (Sweden), Las Vegas, San Francisco (USA) and Toronto (Canada).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.