About the Role
This role leads a team of UX Researchers that underpin Ocado Technology's user focus, merging users and business needs to design great products and solutions for our clients. In this role, the UX Lead will act as a bridge between the end-user and technical / business worlds, working with Principal UX, Principal and Senior Product Managers, and Engineering Development Managers.
You’ll share accountability for key UX Research decisions, ensure teams achieve UX commitments against the delivery plan, and provide constructive challenges to focus effort on the missions that are important for the Ecommerce side of our platform.
What would I be doing?
You will focus on Product Alignment & Collaboration
- Work closely with Product and Engineering teams, ensure team UX deliverables meet user & product stream missions / objectives.
- Ensure teams works collaboratively with Product teams to then generate relevant customer insights & clear UX recommendations aligned to stream goals.
- Make sure teams are delivery focussed and UX effort is balanced against product deadlines.
- Be responsible for improving the tracking and monitoring of system usability to drive continuous and commercially sound improvements.
You will Research & understand user needs
- Work with Principal Product Manager’s (PPM) to ensure UX-Research pipeline supports Ecommerce priorities.
- Have oversight of, and with Product Mgt. peers provide guidance/agreement to research screening criteria & regular research benchmarking,
- Have oversight of qualitative insights of how users interact with the platform, focused on their stream, including interactions with other interfaces.
- Lead UX Researchers to identify gaps in understanding / opportunities where insights can help drive decisions forwards.
- Drive best practice usage of research tools and mentors UX team to maximise efficiency and quality.
- Lead UX Researchers and works with Product teams to build awareness of Ecommerce’s system actors/users and feed into broader end to end service design blueprints.
- Ensure UX teams have the relevant assets to provide a clear rationale for improving the end-to-end UX, eg customer journey flows and empathy maps.
- Together with Product teams, ensure UX team deliverables are aligned to overall business goals and KPIs.
- Highlight and recommend business opportunities from improving the actors' experience and touch points.
- Share outputs with other streams so all teams are aware of the impact of their work on the overall service and the different actors.
You will present Design Thinking
- Make recommendations to improve product effectiveness by applying design thinking and user centricity, working closely with Product teams to gain agreement.
- Mentor/coach broader teams about design thinking & inclusive design.
- Foster a culture where UX team is encouraged to consider multiple solutions and use a blend of qualitative and quantitative insights to rapidly iterate and optimise.
- Work with UX Design Leads & Product Managers to define a Minimum Viable Product that can then be optimised with inputs from the ongoing monitoring of insights and KPIs.
Interaction Design, Information Architecture & Visual Design
- Mentor and support other researchers around best practice techniques to test/validate the effectiveness of Information Architecture, Visual Design variants and translate user needs/problems into actionable insights for teams.
- Share knowledge and insights with in-stream teams to increase awareness of interactions holistically across multiple devices and technologies (e.g. apps, web (HTML, progressive web apps) and various capabilities and limitations.
- Identify inconsistencies, understand user impacts and share with the team to help improve end designs.
You will Lead & Influence
- Ensure UX individuals and teams have actionable, measurable goals, aligned with product strategy and vision
- Help build a high performing team of UX people, supporting individuals to thrive and the organisation to succeed (e.g. coaching, mentoring, inspiring, feedback, connecting people to experts in other fields)
- Will be seen as an example of our Behaviours, inspiring others to live the Ocado Technology Behaviours
- Help to create a strong sense of purpose and mission for the UX area and takes ownership for their outcomes
- Collaborate with Product and Engineering teams and feeds into the prioritisation process to ensure UX teams are aligned and contributing to broader team goals
We'd be interested to hear from you if...
- You actively demonstrate Ocado Technology behaviours in everything you do.
- You contribute to being part of a high performing UX teams when working alongside product & engineering.
- You are flexible and adapt to changing business needs and can prioritise work effectively.
- You are self managing, organised and able to plan, track and deliver your work on time and to a high standard.
- You have a bias for action, collaboration and optimism so that people will always want to have you in their teams.
- You are comfortable with processing and visualising data to help create insight, solve problems and inform recommendations.
- You are logical and take a structured approach even when there is ambiguity.
- You have strong written and verbal communication skills with a good emphasis on careful listening.
- You strive for great in every aspect of your work.
- You share knowledge with others internally.
- Relevant industry experience or technology business.
- Experienced working with mixed teams / functional areas, including Product Management, Engineering, Data Science.
- Proven ability to plan, manage, track and deliver on commitments.
- Prioritising UX work in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrable experience collaborating with, and influencing product and technology teams.
- Experience capturing business needs and user requirements to support product realisation.
- Experience working with Product/UX components that are strategically significant, highly complex, or feature a new area of technology, requiring expansion of the platform.
- Demonstrated usage of deep subject matter expertise & experience working across functional areas balancing the needs of many different product areas.
- Leadership and people management experiences welcomed.
What we can offer you
A relaxed, international, talented, creative and friendly environment, where we will provide you with the best tools to develop amazing stuff. We invest in our employees, ensuring we provide them with the best in-house and external training programs available.
- Flexible working hours with short Fridays
- Reduced hours in August
- Private Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Ticket Restaurant
- Ticket Transport
- Ticket Kindergarten
- Gym membership discounts
- Free fresh fruit, snacks, tea and coffee
- Monthly social events
- Table football, board games and Nintendo Switch
- Tech Talks and internal trainings
- Developer exchange programmes between centres
- English and Spanish language courses
We are growing rapidly, making it a very exciting time to join, as we are currently at a brand new office in the 22@ district - the thrilling tech area of Barcelona.
Ocado is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employees are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.