What does the team do
We are the Simulation Tooling team who builds and supports the distributed platform that configures, executes and analyses large suites of simulations. The team currently comprises four developers, and is looking to grow in order to improve and scale our systems to match the increasing demand for simulation data.
What would I be doing?
As a Software Engineer you will be working on a complex distributed system. As a senior member of the team, you will assist in steering the tooling architecture, technologies and processes on its new platform, as well as contributing good quality code. You will work across the full technology stack on application features, UI design, deployment pipelines and more.
We’re keen to find individuals happy to wear a number of different hats:
- Inventor: Being part of the creative process that drives new concepts and innovations.
- Developer: Creating novel solutions to user requested enhancements.
- Architect: Contribute to the ongoing Gandalf architectural discussions and decision making process.
- Designer: Developing new GUI’s (wizards) for existing and new user interface challenges
- Mentor: Providing mentoring and supporting the development of junior team members while championing collaboration across the whole team and broader Simulation area.
What we are looking for
- Solid skills in both Python (2 & 3)
- Strong analytical and debugging skills
- Experience designing complex distributed Web systems
- Experience designing writing, deploying and maintaining software in a professional environment also an interest in Test Driven Development (TDD) and Domain Driven Design (DDD)
- RESTful API Development, experience of Message Queues
This would make you stand out from the crowd
- Experience working with Java
- Knowledge of Cloud Services (e.g. AWS, GCE)
- Knowledge of DevOps tooling (e.g. Kubernetes, Docker)
- Experience working in an Agile environment
About Ocado Technology
“We are on a mission: to transform the future of online grocery through cutting-edge technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is changing the way the world shops using advanced Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Robotics, Big Data, Cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond.
We build everything in-house: from intelligent, frictionless e-commerce platforms to highly automated warehouses, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies. We’re working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast-growing, global company. Today we have colleagues in development centre across the world - London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria), Barcelona (Spain), Stockholm (Sweden), Las Vegas, San Francisco (USA) and Toronto (Canada).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Hatfield Train Station to the Hatfield offices [Only include for relevant roles]
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.