“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast- growing company: today we have colleagues in 7 development centre across the UK and Europe, with offices open in London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria) and Barcelona (Spain), with a satellite office in Stockholm (Sweden).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor
Our teams are at the cutting-edge of our technology engineering business. From the design and manufacture of the most state-of-the-art products in the business, to their delivery into our multi-million pound Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) across the globe, our bespoke electrical and mechanical development projects are pushing the boundaries of innovation and automation.
Our Quality and Process function, who’s key mission is to drive assured outcomes across our division, is now looking for a passionate Product Safety & Compliance engineer to help us push forward the launch of our cutting edge products, ensuring that all new developments are compliant with the required standards needed across our global sites.
How you’ll spend your days…
- Ensuring products and systems meet appropriate safety & regulatory compliance requirements
- Providing regulatory guidance and support to the development teams and other key customers/collaborators.
- Planning and managing compliance activities along with periodic reporting to stakeholders.
- Conducting product safety evaluations or managing out-sourced product testing / certification as required.
- Reviewing existing and emerging legislation for potential impacts and proposing compliance plans.
- Performing and co-ordinating hazard and risk assessments for new product designs.
- Compilation and maintenance of technical files for certification and regulatory compliance
- Review & approve safety related information prepared for manufacturing, end-users and service personnel (e.g. product testing, user guides, maintenance etc.)
- Review and prepare compliance reports for product certification, regulatory bodies and management as required.
- Participate, as needed, in the analysis & resolution of field related safety and compliance issues.
- Support the development and implementation of internal safety processes and procedures and have an active presence for on-site product related activities.
We’re interested to talk to you if you have...
- Technical proficiency in all areas of Mechanical and Electrical machinery safety.
- Experience interfacing with external regulatory bodies / certification agencies.
- Safety Auditing experience.
- Previous worked with applying current European Directives and Standards pertaining to automated machinery and robotics.
- Experience in achieving 3rd party certification for products outside of the EU
- Ability to support Mechanical and Electrical Design engineers in the design of appropriate safety systems and safety architecture to meet required product standards.
- Ability to lead Task and Design based risk assessments.
- Ability to create system test and validation plans.
- Experience in the completion of EHSRs for Machinery Safety and the provision of a body of evidence for CE Marking and regulatory compliance.
Bonus points if you also have…
- Knowledge of functional safety systems including SIL/PL assessments (e.g. Functional Safety Certified Eng)
- Knowledge and experience of EMC testing / compliance
- Knowledge of compliance / certification requirements for Radio products
What we can offer you...
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on our your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs such as badminton, running and table tennis, not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.