“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast- growing company: today we have colleagues in 7 development centre across the UK and Europe, with offices open in London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria) and Barcelona (Spain), with a satellite office in Stockholm (Sweden).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What would I be doing?
The Analytics Team
You’ll be part of a cross-functional team with a wide remit to source and analyse data from Ocado’s cutting-edge storage and picking systems. We’ll look to you to make sure data is in the right place and in the right structure through automated pipelines that make data available for analysis. Working in a fast-paced Agile environment, you will have significant ownership and technical influence, and see your efforts quickly deliver benefits to the business.
A Culture of Continuous Improvement
We know that however good we are now, we can always be better. We try and apply this philosophy to our products, the code we write, and our own skills.
For our products, we try to identify what we work on next using data: what is going to deliver the most value? What problems are most important to our users?
For our code, we are always looking for ways to make it more readable, reliable and efficient. All the code we write is peer-reviewed to help us spot bugs, use a consistent style, and learn from each other’s experience. We have “lab days” every other week as time dedicated to learning and experimenting with new ideas and technology. They are a good opportunity for us to take a risk and try something new!
How you'll spend your days...
- Analysing, designing, creating and maintaining robust, high-throughput data pipelines from our autonomous robots and their control system and peripherals (pick stations etc)
- Populating new data stores to power statistical analysis and machine learning
- Leading end-to-end investigations to troubleshoot data issues
- Collaborating with other developers, product owners, analysts and data scientists
- Assisting our Data Scientists with productionising machine learning models
- Becoming our expert in current and emerging technologies and tools
We'd love to talk to you if you have...
- 2:1 or higher degree in Computer Science, Maths, Physics, Engineering or similar highly numerate subject
- Commercial, full-lifecycle development experience using Java and related tools (JUnit, Git etc)
- A love of data and data flows as well as simple, maintainable, flexible code
- Flexible in approach with the ability to learn fast
Bonus points if you also have experience of...
- RDBMS or NoSQL datastores and querying
- Google Cloud Platform
- Python or other scripting language for tooling and data wrangling
- Web front-end development (for internal apps)
- Microservices architecture and REST APIs
- Implementing machine learning models in production environments
What we can offer you...
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Please note that unfortunately we are unable to cover the cost of your visa at this time. We do cover the relevant company costs for visa sponsorship. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.