What does the team do
The Cloud Platform teams within the Private & Edge Cloud department, provision and maintain more than 15 kubernetes environments, have a very large portfolio, and is responsible for maintaining multiple UK and international CFC as well as supporting commissioning of new ones. To satisfy the recent reorganisation and meet all the company’s objectives, the team needs to reduce the portfolio (simplify the current solution, use fewer tools, etc), and clearly grow in size. The team has recently split into two teams with 5 engineers each to allow engineers to focus on different equally important priorities
The mission of the team is to deliver an ever more reliable and scalable on-premise ecosystem for low-latency services, automation and edge devices that is fully adapted to the complete gamut of CFC sizes and geographies (UK included), while ensuring smooth transition to OCEngO cloud platform and providing uninterrupted service for existing sites.
What would I be doing?
- Developing and maintaining services that allow the deployment and management of Postgres, deployed on premise and in the cloud, running in VMs as well as in containerised form on Kubernetes.
- Using and improving tools to effectively monitor, manage, alert on and performance tune Ocado's database estate.
- Providing advice, training and mentoring to development teams on issues relating to the use of data solutions for their applications.
- Providing advice, training and monitoring to development teams for data migration efforts into managed services.
- Root cause analysis and fixing of production issues as we strive to minimise support requirement and provide a self-healing infrastructure.
- Be an automator - We’re using cutting edge technology to facilitate repeatability. We practise continuous integration and are working towards continuous deployment.
- Be a collaborator - You’ll be expected to forge deep bonds with our stakeholders and supporting teams in order to truly understand their needs. We work in an Agile environment.
- Be a teacher - Be generous with your time and expertise to continue the development of our world-class engineering team.
- Be an agilist - Actively contributing to the process of continual improvement, with regard to self, team and systems.
- Supporting production systems as required outside of standard working hours and participating in 24x7 on-call rota.
What we are looking for
- Demonstrable hands-on experience operating and troubleshooting Postgres databases in production environments (deployment, configuration, data replication, backups & recovery, data migrations).
- Demonstrable skills in a scripting language such as Bash or Python.
- Demonstrable hands-on experience using the Linux command-line.
- At ease troubleshooting in complex environments using monitoring and logging tools.
- This would make you stand out from the crowd
- Experience using Kubernetes and Docker.
- Demonstrable hands-on experience using git or similar revision control systems.
The inclination and ambition to “Automate Everything”.
- Strong sense of collaboration both within the team and across other infrastructure and development teams.
- Comfortable adapting to change and learning quickly in a fast-paced environment
- Hands-on experience of build pipelines and software lifecycles.
- Used and have knowledge of common build tools, repositories and CD/CI tooling.
- Experience using monitoring and alerting tools (e.g. Prometheus, Grafana).
- Knowledge of SCRUM or other Agile methodologies.
- Experience providing on call support out-of-hours.
- Proven commercial development experience.
- Golang programming skills.
“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using the cloud, robotics, AI, and IoT. We develop the innovative software and systems that power Ocado.com, the world’s largest online-only grocery retailer as well as the global ‘Ocado Smart Platform’. With everything from websites to fully autonomous warehouse that we design in-house, our employees need to be specialists in a wide range of technologies to help drive our business.
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Hatfield Train Station to the Hatfield offices
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.