“Ocado Technology, powering the future of retail through sustained disruptive technology innovation...”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using the cloud, robotics, AI, and IoT. We develop the innovative software and systems that power Ocado.com, the world’s largest online-only grocery retailer as well as the global ‘Ocado Smart Platform’. With everything from websites to fully autonomous warehouse that we design in-house, our employees need to be specialists in a wide range of technologies to help drive our business.
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
About our team..
As part of our Advanced Technology division, our talented robotics engineering teams are working to automate physical processes that require sensing and judgement through the use of robotics and machine vision.
Currently, our focus is on robotic pick - using sensors and robotic arms to pick customers’ orders. We are proud to say this is already live at our customer fulfilment centre based in Erith, but there is still much work to be done to streamline and harden the system for widespread deployment across all of our sites. We need gifted researchers and engineers to help us optimise the throughput of the system, and to enhance the system’s functionality so we can take our robotics products to the next level.
By using what we have learnt from the development of our robotic pick, we have been able to create even more cutting edge products, such as robotic decant and advanced guidance for AGVs which help us to move pallets of stock and completed orders through our CFCs.
Our division is growing, and so we need great software engineers and roboticists of varied levels of experience to join us, forge a great team together, and drive the advancement of revolutionary robotics and automation.
What we’d like you to do…
You will be accountable for all aspects of the products and/or services the team is delivering, including appropriate timeliness and quality.
- Work with the team to put effective and sustainable processes in place, including ways to ensure innovation, experimentation and continuous improvement.
- Partner with Product on prioritisation, forward planning, forecasting, tracking and progress reporting.
- Inspire the other team members and be someone who is respected by the team.
- Work actively to build good relationships and trust between the team and other stakeholders, embedding a ‘one Ocado’ approach.
- Manage upwards effectively, making sure your Engineering Manager and Head of Engineering are informed of progress, celebrating team successes and making key risks visible.
- Set clear goals and expectations for people in the team, providing timely feedback to support their development and improving their performance.
- Set goals at a team level that cascade from the department / stream goals.
- Coach team members and create a healthy environment that facilitates high-performing teams and is aligned with Ocado Values and Ocado Technology Principles.
- Establish a respectful and trusted working relationship with your Product counterpart to allow effective decision making, and facilitate escalations from the team.
- Represent the team in forums (operational meetings, post mortems, etc.) with the support of Team Members when appropriate.
Design for Future:
- Lead the discovery phase along with Product, involving the right people at the right time.
- Responsible for the team following Ocado Technology engineering principles, technical and departmental standards, and using standard tooling where appropriate e.g. libraries, languages, integrations, provided services, existing systems, ….
- Participate in the creation and communication of the team mission, purpose and strategy.
- Help the team to create appropriate ways of working, agreed and explicit, along with the suitable processes aligned with Lean, Agile and Systems Engineering principles, with appropriate metrics in place.
- Make sure the right balance between feature delivery and technical/architectural innovation happens in the team.
Deliver for Today:
- Help the team resolve difficult engineering problems through effective facilitation.
- Focus on delivering value on time.
- Know how to make an economic judgement to balance technical excellence with delivery speed.
- Look ahead to identify risks as soon as possible (technical and organisational) and put in place mitigation plans, escalating when necessary.
- Make sure that technical decisions are made in a timely manner and considering the constraints, standards and recommendations.
- Make sure there is clarity in the area around technical strategy and levels of technical delegation and autonomy.
- Suggest and implement improvements to identify and reduce waste in our ways of working, understanding cost and opportunity implications.
- Comprehend the types of and ways to test, and guide the team to validate the product in short feedback loops.
Execute with Quality:
- Make sure that the team’s products and services pursue technical excellence (with the economic constraints taken into account), with appropriate quality and security built-in.
- Make sure that the right cadences are in place to update stakeholders, Product, the EM or other teams about the delivery.
- Put in place sustainable and effective processes to support your team’s products and services.
We'd like to hear from you if you have…
- A mechatronics or multi-disciplinary engineering degree, or a degree in a specific engineering discipline with at least 3 years experience in a multi-disciplinary environment
- At least 3 years mechatronic design and fabrication experience
- Previous experience working in a research environment
- Understanding of the trade-offs involved in realising a particular functionality in the various technology domains (viz. electronic/mechanical/software)
Bonus points if you also have...
- Post-graduate degree in robotics
- Previous team lead experience
- Previous robotics or prosthetics design experience
- Patent portfolio
What we offer you...
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Please note that unfortunately we are unable to cover the cost of your visa at this time. We do cover the relevant company costs for visa sponsorship. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.