“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast- growing company: today we have colleagues in 7 development centre across the UK and Europe, with offices open in London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria) and Barcelona (Spain), with a satellite office in Stockholm (Sweden).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
About the Grid team...
Our Retrieval Robotics teams are at the cutting-edge of our technology engineering business. From the design and manufacture of the most state-of-the-art products in the business, to their delivery into our multi-million pound Customer Fulfillment Centres (CFCs) across the globe, our bespoke electrical and mechanical development projects are pushing the boundaries of innovation and automation.
Within Retrieval Robotics sits the Grid Development function, which is responsible for the design, testing and manufacture of our automated products relating to our Grid and its storage and safety functionality. We are now looking for an Engineering Manager to support our Head of Engineering in driving these missions.
Imagine the challenges of developing an ultra high throughput automated system that is the size of 4 football pitches. Imagine the challenges of tolerance, scale, static and dynamic loads, manufacturing and rapid deployment for systems of this scale. Think of the challenges of developing a system with all of these requirements that must be “fit and forget” over a 20 year period of 24/7 use. Imagine our latest challenge to achieve all of this within a system that must remain safe and operational after an earthquake. Work with us on products that are in high demand for deployment across multiple large scale clients sites globally. Consider the opportunities that making millions of components gives you to work on industry leading mass manufacturing methods.
How you’ll spend your time...
- You will be an active member of the Grid Leadership Team proactively driving continuous improvement and capability growth within the stream
- Leading the Technical Authorities Team, and the Design Team which includes mechanical engineers, structural engineers, manufacturing development engineers and publications engineers
- Responsible for developing a centre of excellence for design within the Grid Stream, driving value for outsourced design as well insourced design.
- You will be accountable for the design quality for the Grid Stream portfolio of products throughout the product life cycle.
- Help us to create a technical authoring capability that is agile and lean and encompasses the full product lifecycle; providing a high quality service for the Grid Stream
- Driving the manufacturing development capability to ensures that products can be manufactured and sourced within the cost and supply chain constraints of the business
- You will be responsible for providing the technical expertise for the Grid Stream to meet the challenging current and future ambitions of Ocado
- You will create and implement a model for successful delivery for your team through appropriate insource outsource strategy for innovation, development and sustaining engineering
- Own the generation of intellectual property and innovation within the Grid Stream
- Build strong relationships with the Grid Stream key stakeholders
The experience we’re looking for is;
- Management experience including:
- Setting strategic direction and successfully delivering on it
- Coach, mentor and grow team members with track record of setting best practice and creating a culture of continuous improvement
- Able to identify key stakeholders and build effective stakeholder relationships
- Proficient in personal development of teams, fostering high motivation, happiness and morale
- Ability to resolve conflicts and issues with stakeholders and your team
- Ability to identify growth opportunities and drive successful recruitment and retention for your teams
- Experience planning and managing CAPEX and OPEX budgets
- Technical skills and experience as follows:
- Experience successfully improving design capability within a business
- Understanding of best practice in design and manufacture in areas that will translate to the scale and volumes of the grid stream product portfolio
- Experience managing teams to deliver innovation in a fast paced product development environment
- Experience of managing a team to successfully release products for launch into volume production
- Experience identifying and implementing the tools and processes appropriate for a world class design team
- Personally you will have:
- A proactive attitude to improving technical quality and delivery in a timely fashion
- A passion for leading people, always valuing their input and able to explain why and where the department is going
- The ability to drive decisions and negotiate successful outcomes
- Experience creating agile team structures fostering strong collaboration
- Ability to thrive in a fast past rapidly evolving company , capable of quickly adapting and learning through self reflection and feedback
What we offer you...
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.