“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast- growing company: today we have colleagues in 7 development centre across the UK and Europe, with offices open in London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria) and Barcelona (Spain), with a satellite office in Stockholm (Sweden).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What would I be doing?
As Engineering Team Leader you will lead a geographically dispersed team of Application Security Engineers (ASE) and be responsible for the services they provide to teams and the tooling around application security (security issue tracking, SAST tools, etc).
The AppSec team offers the following services:
- Working with development teams to provide them with help and guidance on addressing cybersecurity threats
- Conducting threat modelling sessions and security code reviews, and training development teams on how to run them
- Participating in security issue management processes
- Educating and supporting development teams perform security activities
A bit about the AppSec team
We are creating a centralised team of AppSec Engineers with different levels of experience, providing services to different streams. AppSec Engineers will be in all the development centres and will collaborate as a team. As the AppSec Team Leader you will report to the Deputy CEngO Engineering and you will collaborate with the AppSec Practice Lead.
What you will be responsible for as an AppSec Engineering Team Leader
- Work with the geographically dispersed team to put effective and sustainable processes in place, including ways to ensure innovation, experimentation, learning and continuous improvement.
- Help the team to create appropriate ways of working, agreed and explicit with appropriate metrics in place.
- Lead the group of AppSec Engineers to work as a cohesive team.
- Represent the team in forums (operational meetings, post mortems, etc.) with the support of Team Members when appropriate.
- Suggest and implement improvements to identify and reduce waste in our ways of working, understanding cost and opportunity implications.
- Partner with the AppSec Practice Lead on prioritisation, forward planning, forecasting, tracking and progress reporting.
- Grow the team by hiring members with a balanced set of expertise and skills, and ensure the team members keep developing their application security skills.
- Oversight of security issues appearing in the organisation.
- Ensure that the team builds, supports, and enhances AppSec tooling and integrations
What we would like you to have
- Experience leading a geographically dispersed team.
- Recent experience as an individual contributor in AppSec or Software Engineering.
- Demonstration of leading and managing others effectively, coaching and giving feedback to support development.
- Being assertive but diplomatic and have a bias for action, collaboration and optimism.
- An understanding of Lean and Agile principles and practices and know when and how to use them.
- Ability to apply self-organisation, delegation and decentralised decision-making, and are conscious about applying the right combination of autonomy and alignment.
- Cultivate a strong sense of ownership.
- You know how to gather metrics to make better-informed decisions.
Bonus points if you have
- Experience leading a team of AppSec Engineers
- Experience as an AppSec Engineer
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.