“Ocado Technology, powering the future of retail through sustained disruptive technology innovation...”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using the cloud, robotics, AI, and IoT. We develop the innovative software and systems that power Ocado.com, the world’s largest online-only grocery retailer as well as the global ‘Ocado Smart Platform’. With everything from websites to fully autonomous warehouses that we design in-house, our world-class talent constantly moves the goal posts of what is possible to achieve through sustained technological disruption.
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture.
Based in Hatfield (16 min train commute from London King’s Cross), we also have offices in Krakow, Wroclaw, Barcelona & Sofia. With teams all over Europe.
What will I be doing?
As a Technical Writer within Ocado Technology, you will be responsible for the delivery of all written content relating to the development and release of products or features for Ocado Smart Platform (OSP).
You will work directly with one or more development teams, provide technical communication support to the team(s) and will be involved in the development of new features and functionality from conception through to release.
All features we develop must have approved UI text and documentation in order for them to be released, so the Technical Writer is essential in helping us continuously deploy new functionality. For technical features, such as APIs and data feeds, this includes ensuring consistent naming of data fields and attributes, as well as full reference material.
As well as working directly with a development team, you will be a member of a technical writing team within your business stream which provides the support, guidance and education needed to perform the role, and also a wider Technical Communications unit.
Away from the direct work with the development team(s), you will take an active role in furthering the aims of the technical writing team. You will do this by contributing to improve the practices and working methods that are followed, and to enhance the clients’ experience of using the OSP Help and Learning Centre.
How you will spend your days:
- Producing clear, easy-to-read, and consistent documentation and supporting content, for end-user systems, apps, APIs and data feeds
- Writing concise, usable UI text in accordance with the UI style guide, and ensuring consistent attribute naming for technical features.
- Becoming a subject matter expert for the areas you work on.
- Working closely with Product Managers, UX Designers, Developers, and other Technical Writers.
- Understanding the needs of Training Managers responsible for training clients in the use of our software, to ensure help content supports and complements their efforts.
- Producing consistent screenshots and other visualisations or media when required, such as videos.
- Reviewing and proofreading other writers’ work.
- Contributing to the working methods and processes of the wider Technical Communications team.
We’re looking for someone who has strong technical writing experience and is a content enthusiast - who knows the impact well-written content can have, and also who is looking to explore new ways of enhancing the experience of learning to use, and using, the software with new and emerging approaches.
We would like to hear from you if you have:
- Technical writing experience for software, such as help instructions, user guides, release notes, and tutorials, according to accepted industry standards.
- Experience of writing for user interfaces, and to be able to demonstrate what makes effective UI writing and what doesn’t.
- Ability to understand the different needs of different audiences, and to be able to adjust the approach accordingly.
- Impeccable written English, and the ability to write consistently and concisely in accordance with a style guide.
- The ability to write easy-to-read, fluent text in plain English, and the capability to organise content clearly.
- Experience of working directly with development teams.
- Ability to understand sometimes complex flows or technical information, and to be able to explain them clearly and simply to an end-user.
- Ability to work independently to tight deadlines, across multiple projects simultaneously.
It is not essential, but it would be great if you also had experience:
- Writing for internationalisation - and working with software and content that is delivered in multiple languages.
- Using static site generators such as Jekyll, and writing in Markdown.
- Using Git, or other version control systems.
- Working in an Agile environment.
What can we offer you?
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. While we are to able offer sponsorship, please note that unfortunately, we are unable to cover the cost of your visa at this time. We do cover the relevant company costs for visa sponsorship. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.