About Ocado Technology
“We are on a mission: to transform the future of online grocery through cutting-edge technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is changing the way the world shops using advanced Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Robotics, Big Data, Cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond.
We build everything in-house: from intelligent, frictionless e-commerce platforms to highly automated warehouses, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies. We’re working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast-growing, global company. Today we have colleagues in development centre across the world - London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria), Barcelona (Spain), Stockholm (Sweden), Las Vegas, San Francisco (USA) and Toronto (Canada).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What will I be doing?
As a Technical Writer within Ocado Technology, you will be responsible for the delivery of all written content relating to the development and release of products or features for Ocado Smart Platform (OSP).
You will work directly with several development teams, providing technical communication support to the team(s) and will be involved in the development of new features and functionalities from conception through to release.
While you will work directly with a development team, you are a member of a technical writing team within your business stream, which provides the support, guidance and education needed to perform the role, and also a wider Technical Communications unit.
As a Technical Writer you will:
- Produce clear, easy-to-read, and consistent documentation and supporting content, for end-user systems and apps.
- Produce developer documentation, such as, API and data feed reference material - depending on your experience and skill set
- Write concise, usable UI text in accordance with the UI style guide, and ensure consistent attribute naming for technical features.
- Become a subject matter expert for the areas you work on.
- Work closely with Product Managers, UX Designers, Developers, and other Technical Writers.
- Produce consistent screenshots and other visualisations.
- Review and proofread other writers’ work.
- Contribute to the working methods and processes of the wider Technical Communications team.
We’re looking for someone who:
- is a content enthusiast - who knows the impact a well-written content can have
- is experienced enough to take ownership of the assigned work and manage their stakeholders independently
- understands the need of adhering to company style guides and best practices
- is willing to learn and is driven by exploring new areas of technical writing craft
- is a team player
What the role itself offers...
- A friendly team of people who are very keen on sharing their knowledge and experience.
- Full on-the-job training with the assigned buddy.
- Exposure to writing a variety of documentation types.
- Working alongside people from different departments (managers, developers, UX designers and researchers).
- A fantastic environment to grow your skills and develop your Technical Writing career.
We would like to hear from you if you have:
- Proven technical writing experience for software, such as help instructions, user guides, release notes, and tutorials, according to accepted industry standards.
- Ability to understand the different needs of different audiences, and to be able to adjust the approach accordingly.
- Impeccable written English, and the ability to write consistently and concisely in accordance with a style guide.
- The ability to write easy-to-read, fluent text in plain English, and the capability to organise content clearly.
- Proven experience of working directly with development teams.
- Proven ability to understand sometimes complex flows or technical information, and to be able to explain them clearly and simply to an end-user.
- Ability to work independently to tight deadlines, across multiple projects simultaneously.
It is not essential, but it would be great if you also had experience:
- Writing for user interfaces, and to be able to demonstrate what makes effective UI writing and what doesn’t.
- Writing API documentation.
- Using Git, or other version control systems.
- Using static site generators such as Jekyll, and writing in Markdown.
- Working in an Agile environment
- Writing for internationalisation - and working with software and content that is delivered in multiple languages.
What benefits can we offer you?
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Hatfield Train Station to the Hatfield offices [Only include for relevant roles]
- Free shuttle bus to and from Welwyn Garden City Train Station to the Welwyn Garden City offices [Only include for relevant roles]
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.