What does the team do?
Our Handling Robotics teams are at the cutting-edge of our technology engineering business. From the design and manufacture of the most state-of-the-art products in the business, to their delivery into our multi-million pound Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) across the globe, our bespoke electrical and mechanical development projects are pushing the boundaries of innovation and automation.
Within Handling Robotics sits our Automation Controls Team who are responsible for all aspects that directly control the material handling equipment that makes the Ocado online shopping solution unique.
What would I be doing?
- Define and plan test strategies for new product development, identifying key metrics, test rig requirements and resources needed to enable testing
- Support new test programmes by advising on sample sizes, statistical confidence levels and other reliability targets that need to be achieved
- Support development of future reliability rigs
- Provide validation of supplier/design reliability claims through developing and implementing appropriate test strategies
- Execute test plans, collecting, analysing and presenting results to stakeholders
- Develop predictive reliability models for new and existing products
- Quantify the impact on reliability of any design changes or cost down projects
- Use accelerated life testing & stress screening techniques to realise potential weaknesses in design of new products. Work with other teams to mitigate them
- Identify opportunities to improve or create new KPIs (Key performance Indicators) for existing and new products
- Extract useful statistics from existing product(s) in order to drive improvements both on those products and for the next generation of design
- Lead and collaborate on root cause investigations in product reliability issues
- Facilitate and lead Risk analysis and FMEA Workshops
- Lead/support the identification of root cause and participate in solution generation for issues uncovered during testing
We want to talk to people with...
- A good degree in an engineering/science discipline such as, Mechanical Engineering, Electronics, Physics or Mathematics
- Excellent numerical, modelling and structured problem-solving skills
- Experience of collating, analysing and interpreting large data sets
- Writing and implementing product verification test plans
- Strong hands-on / practical experience of testing products
- Ability to produce and present technical findings across all business levels
- Experience of using FMEA to drive design optimisation
- Ability to work on multiple projects and manage time appropriately.
- Ability to build relationships at all levels with both internal and external teams
- Proficient in use of MS-Office / G suite
- Flexibility to travel to Ocado’s other sites within the UK and overseas as and when required
Bonus points if you also have
- A statistics based post-graduate qualification
- Experience of using accelerated life testing and reliability growth curves in electro-mechanical product development
- Ability to read mechanical and / or electrical drawings
- Experience in managing product test activities and resources
- Experience of using Minitab and/or Six Sigma toolkits
- Developing experiments based on statistical techniques to support new product development
- Experience working with material handling equipment and automation systems
- Use of data analytical tools such as SQL, Python
- Proficiency in reliability software packages such as BlockSIM, Weibull++
About Ocado Technology
“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast- growing company: today we have colleagues in 7 development centre across the UK and Europe, with offices open in London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria) and Barcelona (Spain), with a satellite office in Stockholm (Sweden).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Hatfield Train Station to the Hatfield offices [Only include for relevant roles]
- Free shuttle bus to and from Welwyn Garden City Train Station to the Welwyn Garden City offices [Only include for relevant roles]
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.