Who We Are
Ocado is a UK based company admitted to trading on the London Stock Exchange (Ticker OCDO). It comprises one of the world's largest dedicated online grocery retailers, operating its own grocery and general merchandise retail businesses under Ocado.com and other specialist shop banners, together with its Ocado Solutions division.
The Ocado Solutions division is responsible for providing Ocado’s innovative advanced robotics technology, known as the Ocado Smart Platform ("OSP"), to our major retailer clients around the world. OSP comprises access to Ocado's physical infrastructure solutions, running highly efficient warehouse operations for the single pick of products, together with the entire end-to-end proprietary software applications and advanced robotics required to operate a world-class online grocery business.
Our unique, proprietary and industry-leading technology is set to transform the shopping experience of consumers around the world. We have partnered with Sobeys to help it redefine the grocery customer experience in Canada through the adoption of the centralized, automated model of online retailing provided by the Ocado Smart Platform.
Come join us as we build our North American team, bringing world-class innovation and technologies to one of the most exciting global markets for e-commerce.
What You Will Do
As a Controls Technician working within the Customer Fulfillment Center (CFC), you will provide front line support to the Automation Control team to ensure that control issues, including PLC code related issues within our live operational systems are investigated and resolved as quickly as possible.
Day to day, your role may involve:
- Where a hardware fault is identified, activate a pre-defined workaround or make temporary modifications to PLC code to allow the operation to continue;
- Work with the Automation Control team to diagnose and deploy the required code fixes;
- Provide front line issues investigation of live production control systems (hardware and software) including the use of relevant diagnostic tools such as Profibus / Can Bus networks, Bar Code Readers;
- Carry out planned maintenance across the site;
- Analyse data and find solutions to improve MHE performance;
- Complete quality inspections to ensure work is completed to a safe standard
You may be asked to perform tasks as required by management deemed as a reasonable request. This job description is a summary of the typical functions of the role, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of possible role responsibilities, tasks and duties and is subject to review. The responsibilities, tasks and duties of the job holder might differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, might form part of the job.
Who You Are
To qualify for this position, you must meet the following requirements:
- BS/BA degree in Electrical Engineering or related discipline or advanced degree.
- Good technical & experienced hands-on ability relating to automation hardware and software;
- A good understanding of PLC control system architecture and field control devices;
- A good understanding of DC motor controls
- Online code monitoring, modification and development with Siemens S7 300/400 PLC’s
- Experience with SCADA and Siemens HMI systems
- Experience in a warehouse, distribution, production or FMCG environment
- Understanding of Control System Communication Protocols such as WCS and WMS systems
- Good communication, organisation and planning skills
- Sound analytical skills, able to look at data and solve problems with full customer focus and determination to deliver results under time critical situations
- Flexible to working a shift based pattern including nights and weekends
This position is located in our automated warehouse facility in Pointe-Claire, QC.
We have revolutionized the online grocery world. Our technology is at the forefront of our business and it’s the people, like you, willing to challenge the norm to come up with innovative ideas that have enabled this. We offer a challenge like no other, interesting projects to work on and a sense that you are part of a team doing something different. With this being our first site in Canada, you will be part of our success in a new country, with opportunities to develop your career within a structured path, whether it be improving your technical skills and ability or progressing into management roles. So what are you waiting for?
For a sense of who we are and what we deliver we invite you to explore online to learn more about Ocado Technology and Ocado Engineering, which directly support the Ocado Solutions division, and take the next step in what will be an amazing career with us.
Learn about our partnership with Sobeys:
- Ocado seals new international tie-up with Sobeys in Canada
- A sneak peek at the future of grocery automation in Canada
- Check out this video about our advanced robotics technology
Ocado Solutions values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Quebec Charter of Human Rights and Freedoms. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.