Who We Are
Ocado is a UK based company admitted to trading on the London Stock Exchange (Ticker OCDO). It comprises one of the world's largest dedicated online grocery retailers, operating its own grocery and general merchandise retail businesses under Ocado.com and other specialist shop banners, together with its Ocado Solutions division.
The Ocado Solutions division is responsible for providing Ocado’s innovative advanced robotics technology, known as the Ocado Smart Platform ("OSP"), to our major retailer clients around the world. OSP comprises access to Ocado's physical infrastructure solutions, running highly efficient warehouse operations for the single pick of products, together with the entire end-to-end proprietary software applications and advanced robotics required to operate a world-class online grocery business.
Our unique, proprietary and industry-leading technology is set to transform the shopping experience of consumers around the world. We have partnered with Kroger to help it redefine the grocery customer experience in the United States through the adoption of the centralized, automated model of online retailing provided by the Ocado Smart Platform.
Come join us as we build our North American team, bringing world-class innovation and technologies to one of the most exciting global markets for e-commerce.
What You Will Do
The Grid Operator will report directly to the respective shift assigned Engineering Team Manager with a dotted line to the Senior Controls Engineer. The Grid Operator’s role is to provide first line support to the Operation through monitoring the activities and efficiency of the Grid and Robots, ability to meet its KPI targets. This is a hands-on role and, therefore, candidates will need to adopt a versatile and flexible approach to work as the site evolves; relative to new software system implementations.
Daily Grid Operator roles may involve:
- Investigate any stoppage on the grid which pauses the Operation and see through to resolution, including escalating to off-site support and remotely connecting to the Robots.
- Monitor Robot performance and appropriately escalate problems to Engineering Operations for inspection.
- Monitor the status of both the Robots and the physical grid – investigating locked grid cells, charging ports and general Robot health.
- Align, priorities and monitor KPI’s as defined by the ETM that support the Customer’s optimized service for its end customer/clients.
- Communicate across multiple departments to ensure the right equipment is being used to maximize operational efficiency, and assist with the planning.
- Coordinate Robot software roll-outs to keep the most up to date software running across the Robot fleet.
The Grid Operator may be asked to perform tasks as required by management deemed as a reasonable request. This job description is a summary of the typical functions of the role, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of possible role responsibilities, tasks and duties and is subject to review. The responsibilities, tasks and duties of the job holder might differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, might form part of the job.
The initial 6 to 9 months will involve training and most likely require some travel in order to obtain the training from another site in the US and/or UK. In the event the operations is undergoing its initial startup, the daily responsibilities for this role may be different while supporting the needs of a facility in its initial stages of starting its operations. Once the facility is commissioned, the roles defined in this job description will become the daily responsibilities for the Grid Operator.
Who You Are
To qualify for this position, you must meet the following requirements:
- A degree from a vocational or technical school in a relevant field of study or an additional two years of relevant experience.
- Possess excellent computer skills and be PC literate.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Ability to work well under pressure and manage to tight deadlines.
- Analytical approach to problem-solving.
- Experience working in an FMCG production, automated warehouse or distribution center environment preferred.
- Be familiar with basic UNIX shell commands to connect to remote hosts, authenticate and traverse the file system.
- Be able to work with log files and extract relevant log lines through the application of commands used for file manipulation.
- Experience of working with computerized maintenance management systems.
- Numerate and PC literate including Word, Excel etc.
This role will require flexibility due to us being a 24/7 operation and a shift pattern will be put in place that will require working days, nights and weekends.
- Ascending or descending ladders and stairs.
- Moving between worksites to accomplish tasks in tight and confined spaces.
- Remaining in a stationary position, often standing or sitting for a prolonged period.
- Adjusting or moving objects up to 30 pounds in all directions. Work that includes moving objects up to 100 pounds or more.
- Communicating with others to exchange information.
- Low temperatures and noisy environments.
This position will be based at the customer fulfillment center in Forest Park, GA.
What We Offer
- 401k Plan; 100% match up to 5% of earnings
- Paid Vacation and Sick Days
- 10 Paid Public Holidays
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Medical and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
- Health Reimbursement Account; Company Contribution of 50% of Annual Deductible
- Company Paid Life Insurance
- Short Term Disability Insurance
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
For a sense of who we are and what we deliver we invite you to explore online to learn more about Ocado Technology and Ocado Engineering, which directly support the Ocado Solutions division, and take the next step in what will be an amazing career with us.
Learn about our partnership with Kroger:
- Kroger Bets on Robots With Ocado Deal
- Meet Ocado, Kroger’s Newest Weapon in Its Grocery Delivery War with Amazon and Walmart
- Check out this video about our advanced robotics technology
Ocado is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, veteran’s status, or any other classification as required by applicable law.