“Ocado Technology, powering the future of retail through sustained disruptive technology innovation...”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are currently recruiting for newly created roles within the Data Science team, as Head of Data Science you will head up the data science work within the stream. Your role will be responsible for the strategy and delivery of data science within their stream. You will work closely with engineering and product to make sure that data science delivers the most amount of value possible.
Your Key Responsibilities:
Your main responsibilities as Head of Data Science is to make sure we take the best possible advantage of data science within a stream and that the data science team has a challenging and rewarding role to play.
You will be responsible for:
- Looking after the data science work within a stream/department
- Focus on evangelising data and data science thinking and on supporting product in understanding where the biggest opportunities are
- Develops a ML strategy (taking into account product roadmaps and engineering needs) for the stream, in particular to spot opportunities for the application of data science / operations research
- Ensures consistent approaches to Data Science / Operations Research in stream and that duplication is reduced
- Champions the streams Data Science needs (e.g. around tooling or resourcing) to the horizontal structures
- Ensures that our commitments to old platforms are fulfilled
- Line manages the data science team leads
We would like to hear from you if you have:
- In depth knowledge of the data science process and how data science can add value to an organisation
- Ability to tell a convincing story internally and externally
- Ability to manage complex stakeholder relationships, to influence but also to listen
- Knowledge of ML platform tooling, processes and ML Ops more broadly
- Proactive problem solver comfortable with ambiguity
- Line management experience
Bonus points if you also have:
- Experience in online retail or with applying machine learning to physical hardware
What we can offer you
A relaxed, international, talented, creative and friendly environment, where we invest in our employees, ensuring we provide them with the best in-house and external training programs available.
- Flexible working hours with short Fridays
- Reduced hours in August
- Private Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Ticket Restaurant
- Ticket Transport
- Ticket Kindergarten
- Flexible WFH policy
- Share-saving scheme
- Gym membership discounts
- Fresh fruit, snacks, tea and coffee
- Monthly social events
- Table football, board games and Nintendo Switch
- Tech Talks and internal trainings
- English, Spanish and Catalan language courses
We are growing rapidly, making it a very exciting time to join, as we are currently at a brand new office in the 22@ district - the thrilling tech area of Barcelona.
Ocado is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employees are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.