About the role
Product Discovery is a rapidly growing part of both Ocado Technology as well as our Barcelona office. We assist shoppers in filling their basket with life's essentials, inspiring them to try something new, and empowering our partners to grow their revenue profitably along the way.
Role & Responsibilities
As an Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for a number of teams and the products or services they provide. You will take care of these teams, making sure they are properly resourced, skilled and have suitable processes so that they can deliver products / services in a timely manner with the expected speed and expected quality.
You will directly manage Team Leaders and will report to a Head of Engineering (HoE) within a stream, to align efforts to the best interest of Ocado and its customers. Engineering Managers will partner with Senior Product Managers, sharing accountability for achieving commitments to the delivery plan and for focusing teams’ effort on the missions that are important for Ocado Technology - to revolutionise the way people shop by enabling thousands of customers to receive fresh fruit, vegetables and groceries at a time of their choosing - which is much easier said than done. Ocado is taking some of the world largest retailers online bringing our life changing product to more people every day.
- Design for Future
- Deliver for Today
- Execute with Quality
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
Key Leadership Requirements
- Experience of leading other leaders (aka second line management) in a software product development company.
- Experience in building a psychologically safe environment to build trust and facilitate rapid learning.
- You are highly organised and able to plan, manage, track and deliver effectively.
- You lead and manage others effectively, coaching and giving feedback to support development.
- You have sufficient knowledge of the technology used in the area and are capable of modelling and communicating the design: data, interactions, APIs, etc.
- You are assertive but diplomatic and have a bias for action, collaboration and optimism.
- You understand Lean and Agile principles and practices and knows when and how to use them.
- You cultivate a strong sense of ownership.
- You know how to gather metrics to make better-informed decisions.
- You are a respected leader that people want to follow.
Key Technical Experience
- Experience with web, mobile, or API development
- Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC), Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery (CI/CD).
- Mentoring or managing others effectively and supporting their personal development.
- Ability to lead and direct your own and others work to achieve objectives.
What we can offer you
A relaxed, international, talented, creative and friendly environment, where we invest in our employees, ensuring we provide them with the best in-house and external training programs available.
- Flexible working hours with short Fridays
- Reduced hours in August
- Private Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Ticket Restaurant
- Ticket Transport
- Ticket Kindergarten
- Flexible WFH policy
- Share-saving scheme
- Gym membership discounts
- Fresh fruit, snacks, tea and coffee
- Monthly social events
- Table football, board games and Nintendo Switch
- Tech Talks and internal trainings
- English, Spanish and Catalan language courses
We are growing rapidly, making it a very exciting time to join, as we are currently at a brand new office in the 22@ district - the thrilling tech area of Barcelona.
Ocado is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employees are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.