“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast- growing company: today we have colleagues in 7 development centre across the UK and Europe, with offices open in London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria) and Barcelona (Spain), with a satellite office in Stockholm (Sweden).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
About our team..
As part of our Advanced Technology division, our talented robotics engineering teams are working to automate physical processes that require sensing and judgement through the use of robotics and machine vision.
Currently, our focus is on robotic pick - using sensors and robotic arms to pick customers’ orders. We are proud to say this is already live at our customer fulfilment centre based in Erith, but there is still much work to be done to streamline and harden the system for widespread deployment across all of our sites. We need gifted researchers and engineers to help us optimise the throughput of the system, and to enhance the system’s functionality so we can take our robotics products to the next level.
By using what we have learnt from the development of our robotic pick, we have been able to create even more cutting edge products, such as robotic decant and advanced guidance for AGVs which help us to move pallets of stock and completed orders through our CFCs.
Our division is growing, and so we need great software engineers and roboticists of varied levels of experience to join us, forge a great team together, and drive the advancement of revolutionary robotics and automation.
What will you do?
The roles and responsibilities include:
- Drive new concepts and innovations;
- Setting up and processing data in a CAD environment in an iterative process;
- Design of highly reliable mechanical components and subsystems taking into account manufacturability, cost, weight etc;
- Use of analytical tools to drive and substantiate design decisions;
- Selecting, working with and managing manufacturers and suppliers;
- Ensuring schedules are met and both project and technical risks are mitigated;
- Accountable for the quality and timely delivery of own work, ensuring that designs achieve product requirements.
- Supporting the transition of designs into manufacture
- Designing products comprised of both commercial off-the-shelf and bespoke components, using varying manufacturing techniques, taking an additive first approach, and using conventional manufacturing methods only when additive isn’t suitable (for example machining, casting, extrusion, injection moulding)
We'd like to hear from you if you have...
- A good Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent Mechanical Engineering qualification with experience
- A great track record in designing complex electro-mechanical automation systems, machines or products that have gone into production
- Experience in design application of DFMA techniques, with consideration of manufacturing techniques for scale
- Expert experience in CAD; preferably OnShape or SolidWorks and PDM software
- Familiar with product handling techniques
- Experience of delivering work packages on time and within budget constraints;
- Familiar with risk identification and activities to de-risk designs through analysis and testing
- Able to generate technical documentation
- The ability to work within a team on multiple projects, to prioritise tasks and to manage own time;
- Self-motivated, team player, flexible and willing to learn
- Used to working in a fast paced, changing, professional environment
Bonus points if you have...
- Experience in Robotics
- Experience using additive manufacturing and rapid prototyping techniques
- Practical FEA experience
- Creation of Operating or Maintenance manuals.
- Experience drafting to BS8888 with the use of GD&T
- A good understanding of component selection
- Knowledge in mechatronics
- Background within solid mechanics, statics, fracture and fatigue
What we can offer you...
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Please note that unfortunately we are unable to cover the cost of your visa at this time. We do cover the relevant company costs for visa sponsorship. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.