Within Ocado Group sits Platform Implementation, whose mission is ‘to orchestrate the implementation of Ocado’s platforms globally’. This department focuses on the full programme management life cycle of the implementation of our highly automated, multi-million pound Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) - from pre-deal, through to the design, construction, installation, testing and ‘go-live’ phases (with all the process and portfolio management in between). This department is instrumental in ensuring we deliver these CFCs on time, to budget, and to the specific requirements of each client.
We are now looking for a Programme Manager - Portfolio Planning to join the Project Office & Design Solutions stream, to take accountability for driving portfolio planning activities, defining strategies and building capabilities among the wider PI functions in order to positively influence and help build our future product offering and project horizon for our growing number of retail partners globally.
This position will own the creation and reporting (to board level) of the PI project portfolio. From evaluating technical implications of new product introduction/projects and the commercial risks/opportunities that these present, furthering these capabilities (including strengthening our analysis of territory specific considerations) while considering supply chain implications and assessing resources vs. project deadlines, to driving the maturing of new concepts to a ‘delivery-ready’ state for our retail partners and successfully coordinating the introduction of these new products to the PI project portfolio.
The individual in this role must be highly analytical, ensuring complex and multifaceted problems and challenges are met with creative and timely solutions, with strong relationship-building skills to lead and drive these solutions alongside the wider team. The role requires strong communication, relationship-building and influencing skills to ensure buy-in of senior stakeholders and colleagues, as well as a proactive and inquisitive approach, not just taking what we do on face value, but appreciating the why, how and future impact from both a technical and commercial perspective.
The role is based at our Head Office in Hatfield, but some UK/international travel may be required.
What will you be doing?
- Leadership of the portfolio planning team with direct and indirect reports
- Maintaining an up to date and accurate view of the Platform Implementation project portfolio
- Coordinating multi-disciplinary teams to provide regular assessments of Platform Implementation resource capacity vs total Project demand
- Proposing and analysing scenarios to optimise the supply and demand profiles across the portfolio (people and MHE/technology)
- Leading portfolio-level strategic initiatives and workstreams to improve Platform Implementation’s confidence and capability to deliver to our client-commitments
- Presenting portfolio analysis to various levels of management up to the exec board
- Leading cross-functional teams to provide ‘new deal risk assessments’ that include portfolio-level and territory specific considerations
- Through the ‘Territory Readiness Manager’ (direct report), supporting the wider PI teams and implementation projects with planning and delivery of activities to ‘set-up’ our business for success in new territories
- Supporting the continuous improvement of Platform Implementations processes for new country set-up and investigation
- Building methodology and governance by which Platform Implementation takes new product concepts, and developing them to delivery-readiness
- Building the methodology and governance by which new Products are introduced to the portfolio, ensuring that deployment strategy balances the needs, opportunities and risks of a wide array of stakeholders in Platform Implementation
- Previous experience in managing, developing and leading teams in a matrix environment
- Project management and portfolio planning experience in a related discipline (engineering, supply chain, manufacturing, logistics, retail)
- Extensive experience of operating to project management methodologies, including detailed governance, risk management and associated reporting
- Experience of working on international projects / projects with international / territory-specific considerations in a project management capacity
- Experience across entire project management lifecycle (strategy to delivery)
- Experience with development / improvement and implementation of new methodologies and processes
- A highly mathematical/analytical mindset along with very strong numeracy skills
- Advanced excel skills
- A highly logical and detail-oriented approach
- Ability to pick up and work with complex problems and arguments then develop, resolve and communicate around them using innovative and creative thinking
- Effective communication and relationship building skills at all levels - can adapt style to different stakeholder and situations
- Strong commercial awareness, ability to read situations and appreciate the commercial and contractual impact
- Good spoken and written English supporting excellent presentation skills
- Enjoys working under pressure in a fast-paced and challenging environment
- A proactive, innovative, self-motivated and results-driven individual with a can-do attitude
- Excellent planning, organisation and time management skills
Ocado Group is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employees are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.
About Ocado Group...
When our journey started, we were all about changing the way people shop for groceries. 20 years later, we’re a FTSE 100 business developing our own ground breaking technology, opening multiple sites at an accelerating rate and engaging in exciting new business partnerships around the world!
Transforming an industry means also transforming the way we do business. As we continually develop new technologies and customer propositions, we’re looking for the brightest talents to lead us into the next stage of our evolution: enhancing our capabilities, inspiring our teams and developing new ways of working.
Only a 20 minute commute from London King’s Cross and with a free shuttle bus provided from Hatfield Station to the office
Ocado employee experience is very important to us. As well as keeping a smile on your face with weekly massages, a games room, coffee shop, weekly food samples and amazing food hall to satisfy your daily breakfast and lunch taste buds..All Ocado employees are offered a benefits package of - 25 days holiday + the option to buy an additional 3 via salary sacrifice, 15% discount on your weekly ocado shop, pension, share options, discounts on gym memberships and much much more….
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Please note that unfortunately we are unable to cover the cost of your visa at this time. We do cover the relevant company costs for visa sponsorship. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Our values: we’re in it together, we are proud of what we do, we can be even better…