Who We Are
Ocado is a UK based company admitted to trading on the London Stock Exchange (Ticker OCDO). It comprises one of the world's largest dedicated online grocery retailers, operating its own grocery and general merchandise retail businesses under Ocado.com and other specialist shop banners, together with its Ocado Solutions division.
The Ocado Solutions division is responsible for providing Ocado’s innovative advanced robotics technology, known as the Ocado Smart Platform ("OSP"), to our major retailer clients around the world. OSP comprises access to Ocado's physical infrastructure solutions, running highly efficient warehouse operations for the single pick of products, together with the entire end-to-end proprietary software applications and advanced robotics required to operate a world-class online grocery business.
Our unique, proprietary and industry-leading technology is set to transform the shopping experience of consumers around the world. We have partnered with the Kroger Family of Companies in the US to help redefine the grocery customer experience through the adoption of the centralized, automated model of online retailing provided by the Ocado Smart Platform.
Come join us as we build our North American team, bringing world-class innovation and technologies to one of the most exciting global markets for e-commerce.
What You Will Do
The Project Manager, Construction sits within our Program Management function, and takes full ownership and accountability for large scale end-to-end Customer Fulfillment Center (CFC) build projects in support of our North American retail partners, Kroger and Sobeys.
The Project Manager, Construction plays a leading role, taking accountability for the full lifecycle of a CFC build. It is both external client and internal stakeholder facing, with large scale budget, people management and decision-making responsibilities. The Project Manager, Construction must demonstrate sound leadership qualities to drive and steer each stage of the CFC build project, from pre-deal through to go-live (each project has a duration of 2 years), and ultimately acts as the ‘voice of the project’. The Project Manager, Construction must have comprehensive project management skills, be adept at dealing with challenges, risk/issue management, reporting, as well as drive our company culture and values (we’re in it together, we’re proud of what we do, we can be even better) within the team.
This position will require up to 3 months of travel to the UK for training in the first year.
Day-to-day responsibilities could include:
- Leading end-to-end CFC builds for North American projects - managing all phases of the project from pre-deal through to the design, construction, installation, testing and go live phases
- Managing a budget of $50M-100M, ensuring the CFC is delivered on time, to specification and on budget
- Leading and collaborating with internal and external stakeholder teams, as well as suppliers, throughout the duration of the project
- Forming fantastic working relationships and building strong on-going partnerships with key teams to ensure alignment across the project and to ensure that deadlines are met
- Driving the project by responding proactively to issues, competing priorities and key dependencies to ensure that the right decisions are made promptly
- Direct and indirect people management
- Maintaining and monitoring progress of the project against Ocado’s standard project methodology
- Coordinating risks and issues within the project with regular reporting, and escalation to senior management when necessary
- Monitoring lessons learned with a continuous improvement approach
- Driving a pioneering and innovative environment for the team
- Creating and contributing to the company culture and Ocado values
Who You Are
To qualify for this position, you should meet the following requirements:
- 7+ years minimum in managing large scale, CapEx projects; ideally within Automation, Material Handling or Manufacturing
- Extensive client facing project and program management experience
- Bachelors degree required
- World-class collaborator with experience working across complex organizations, along with internal and external partners
- Must possess strong people skills, with the ability and experience to motivate and influence teams
- A highly analytical and logical approach to work, with the ability to understand and challenge expert opinions
- Effective communication and presentation skills at all levels of the business
- Demonstrates initiative, self-motivation and innovation
- Adaptable with the ability to respond quickly to changing priorities and deliver under pressure
- Professional & enthusiastic individual who can provide leadership and motivation to the team
- Proactive in maintaining good working relationships, both internally & externally
- Ability to plan & prioritize workload, ensuring all given deadlines are met
- Flexibility with regards to international travel - must be able to spend up to 4 weeks at a time in the UK 3 times in the first year
This role is 80-100% travel to sites across North America and requires the ability to spend 3 months in the UK in the first year.
For a sense of who we are and what we deliver we invite you to explore online to learn more about Ocado Technology and Ocado Engineering, which directly support the Ocado Solutions division, and take the next step in what will be an amazing career with us.
What We Offer
- 401k Plan; 100% match up to 5% of earnings
- Paid Vacation and Sick Days
- 10 Paid Public Holidays
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Medical and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
- Health Reimbursement Account; Company Contribution of 50% of Annual Deductible
- Company Paid Life Insurance
- Short Term Disability Insurance
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
Learn about our partnership with Kroger:
- Kroger Bets on Robots With Ocado Deal
- Meet Ocado, Kroger’s Newest Weapon in Its Grocery Delivery War with Amazon and Walmart
- Check out this video about our advanced robotics technology
Ocado is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, veteran’s status, or any other classification as required by applicable law.