“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast- growing company: today we have colleagues in 7 development centre across the UK and Europe, with offices open in London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria) and Barcelona (Spain), with a satellite office in Stockholm (Sweden).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
Our Retrieval Robotics teams are at the cutting-edge of our technology engineering business. From the design and manufacture of the most state-of-the-art products in the business, to their delivery into our multi-million pound Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) across the globe, our bespoke electrical and mechanical development projects are pushing the boundaries of innovation and automation.
Within Retrieval Robotics sits the Bot Hardware Development function, which is responsible for the design, testing and manufacture of our automated products relating to our Bots. Our Mechanical Engineering team is looking for an accomplished Manufacturing Development Engineer, who will be responsible for the smooth transition of Ocado’s technology systems, developed by our Development team, into manufacture. You would be key in determining the process and procedures for transitioning products into full manufacture including work instructions, processes times, test procedures and test and assembly fixtures.
How you’ll spend your days...
- You will ensure that all products developed by Ocado are optimised for manufacture and assembly.
- See through the transition of developed products from prototype to full manufacture.
- Collaborate with manufacturers to optimise and document the manufacturing process.
- Also working with them to identify and deliver test and assembly fixture requirement.
- Ensure process capability for components through to the system by identifying and tracking critical to quality parameters (CTQ).
- Conducting measurement system analysis (MSA) on test equipment.
- Participate in value engineering activities.
- Act as the primary technical interface with suppliers
- Actively participate in the Patent process for Ocado Technology
We want to talk to people with...
- Proven experience of transferring designs into manufacture in either a high volume industrial equipment or manufacturing industry;
- Background in value engineering;
- Strong stakeholder management and negotiation skills, from the shop floor to Senior Managers;
- Knowledge of latest manufacturing processes and how best to apply them to ensure the highest manufacturing quality and cost optimisation;
- Experience in successfully transferring products from one manufacturing site to another;
- A passion for continuous process improvement;
- Experience of process capability, statistical process controls (SPC) and critical parameter management;
- Experience in the application of analytical tools to aid the manufacturing process PFMEA, FAST, Critical Parameters and 6 Sigma;
- Proven knowledge and experience of performing advanced statistical maths as part of day-to-day work;
- Good investigative and problem-solving skills with excellent attention to detail;
- An engineering / science qualification.
Bonus points if you also have...
- Experience in CTQ parameter management and statistical aspects of process capability including Cp and CpK analysis;
- Experience in predicting process and cycle times in order to balance manufacturing lines;
- Proven track record of successfully introducing new suppliers and building appropriate supplier relationships;
- Experience in working across a spectrum of manufacturing processes including injection moulded and vacuum formed plastics, metal extrusion, metal forming, metal fabrication, CNC machining and electronics manufacture.
What we can offer you...
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Please note that unfortunately we are unable to cover the cost of your visa at this time. We do cover the relevant company costs for visa sponsorship. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.