Ocado is a UK based company admitted to trading on the London Stock Exchange (Ticker OCDO). It comprises one of the world's largest dedicated online grocery retailers, operating its own grocery and general merchandise retail businesses under Ocado.com and other specialist shop banners, together with its Ocado Solutions division.
Our unique, proprietary and industry-leading technology is set to transform the shopping experience of consumers around the world. We have partnered with Aeon in Japan, to help redefine the grocery customer experience through the adoption of the centralized, automated model of online retailing provided by the Ocado Smart Platform.
In 2023 Aeon will be opening their first Customer Fulfillment Operation based at the Chiba (Honda) site. In support of this, Ocado will employ a cross section of Engineers and Technical specialists such as Engineering Operations, Technology Operations and the management and administrative teams (circa 70 employees).
As the HR Manager in Japan, you will be developing the local HR infrastructure required to partner with our Ocado operation teams who are located on our Partner sites, Aeon. You will be supported by and work closely with the Central People team and Centres of Expertise on key People projects who are based in the UK.
This is a fantastic opportunity where you will be accountable for delivering a hands on, operational end to end service to management on the full employee lifecycle: from hiring to employee relations, performance management, compensation and benefits, through to developing tools and upskilling managers through training materials and workshops.
Providing a complete HR generalist service to the Japanese operations team, you will drive best practices, ensuring that process and documentation are being deployed in the best way possible whilst observing our obligations contained within the local Labour Agreement, Japanese Law, and our global Ocado policies.
Reporting into the Head of Regional People in the UK and working together with your peers who have international responsibilities, you will be collaborative in your approach with others across our growing business, building strong partnerships across different client areas at all levels.
What will you be doing?
- Lead the build and development of a people infrastructure (policies, processes, practices, systems) to support the Japanese business through its various stages of evolution and scaling.
- Developing a robust and fit for purpose Employee Handbook and Workplace Rules; ensuring that all employees have a high level of awareness, understanding, engagement and buy-in
- Work closely with key customers in a proactive and partnership capacity; coach and assist Line Managers to understand and effectively implement HR policies, procedures and best practices
- Provide “hands on” support to Line Managers for formal meetings eg note taking for Disciplinary and Grievances (virtually and in person)
- Work with the recruitment team and Line Managers to ensure all offers (internal or external) and promotions are managed effectively and followed up appropriately (benchmarking,etc)
- Work with the local Administration resource to ensure the effective delivery of transactional HR activities for the client base ensuring that a high quality service is provided
- Attend and contribute to team meetings both with key customers and within HR; participate in project and working groups on initiatives across both HR and the client base
- Utilise employee data and trend analysis to educate and work in partnership with the Line Managers on people issues, eg absence management, reducing labour turnover, driving engagement levels (Peakon)
- In conjunction with the Health and Safety stream and Line Management, ensure that there are safe working systems, procedures and policies in place at all relevant locations.
- Champion and support with Peakon, keeping action plans live and relevant
- Feeding back and collaborating with the mission partners to ensure a clear 2 way dialogue is created and maintained to feedback relevant insight that will help inform strategy
- Leading on recruitment for new hires into the Customer Fulfillment centres, with insight and best practice from the Central Recruitment Team
- Previous experience in a generalist HR role.
- Ability to communicate effectively in Japanese and English (written and spoken)
- Proven knowledge and experience of Japanese employment law and the principles of working under a Collective Bargaining Agreement / Labor Code
- Experience of developing and executing an appropriate set of Workplace Rules, which enable and support the business to achieve its business objectives (including our ability to hire, motivate, reward and retain talent)
- Experience of working autonomously in a remote working environment and in a matrix structure, within a multinational organisation
- Maturity and dexterity to navigate and cut through complexities quickly and sensibly
- A strong cultural awareness and an understanding of working with international teams
- Experience from Retail, Tech, Manufacturing, Engineering preferred but not essential
- Experience in working for a business that is scaling and growing at pace, working though new and updated policies and procedures
- Recruitment experience, agency management and coaching managers on interviewing
- Self starter; Confident decision maker with the ability to work independently but collaboratively with local and global stakeholders
- Effective relationship management skills; good listening skills and effective influencing skills
- Flexible approach to working hours to support a 24/7 business operation
Ocado Group is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employees are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.
About Ocado Group
When our journey started, we were all about changing the way people shop for groceries. 20 years later, we’re a FTSE 100 business developing our own ground breaking technology, opening multiple sites at an accelerating rate and engaging in exciting new business partnerships around the world!
Transforming an industry also means transforming the way we do business. As we continually develop new technologies and customer propositions, we’re looking for the brightest talents to lead us into the next stage of our evolution: enhancing our capabilities, inspiring our teams and developing new ways of working.
Learn about our partnership with Aeon: