Who We Are
Ocado is a UK based company admitted to trading on the London Stock Exchange (Ticker OCDO). It comprises one of the world's largest dedicated online grocery retailers, operating its own grocery and general merchandise retail businesses under Ocado.com and other specialist shop banners, together with its Ocado Solutions division.
The Ocado Solutions division is responsible for providing Ocado’s innovative advanced robotics technology, known as the Ocado Smart Platform ("OSP"), to our major retailer clients around the world. OSP comprises access to Ocado's physical infrastructure solutions, running highly efficient warehouse operations for the single pick of products, together with the entire end-to-end proprietary software applications and advanced robotics required to operate a world-class online grocery business.
Our unique, proprietary and industry-leading technology is set to transform the shopping experience of consumers around the world. We have partnered with the Kroger Family of Companies in the US to help redefine the grocery customer experience through the adoption of the centralized, automated model of online retailing provided by the Ocado Smart Platform.
Come join us as we build our North American team, bringing world-class innovation and technologies to one of the most exciting global markets for e-commerce.
What You Will Do
Field Engineers within central automation engineering directly support the Product Engineers with all in-field activities. They maintain in depth, practical product knowledge across all our products both developed in house and externally sourced. They directly support other teams during the design, manufacture and installation phases of new Customer Fulfillment Centers (CFC’s). They provide ongoing product support to Engineering Operations and Continuous Improvement teams. They need to be able to resolve any engineering issues as well as provide valuable feedback to the development teams for future developments.
Day-to-day responsibilities could include:
- Ensure Manufacturing and Supply Chain has all that is required to enable them to resolve any required quality/supply chain related issue or solution through the appropriate process
- Ensure Product Engineers have all that is required to enable them to process any required product change request or solution through the Change Control Process
- Field mark ups of product documentation (drawings, manuals, guides, checklists etc.) are sent in a timely and clear manner to technical support colleagues & Product Engineers
- Always maintain product and process quality
- Provide direct engineering product support as required, ensuring issue is appropriately resolved both in the immediate and at root cause
- Reporting of field visits and product issues are formally communicated back to technical support colleagues and escalated to product engineers as required
- Deliver the roll out of work packs either directly or through managed subcontract resources
- Support Automation Engineering Implementation with installation & commissioning expertise and advice, ensuring best practice is followed and understood
- Work closely with our Product Development colleagues to receive new products and developments, be actively engaged with early field deliveries of new products to ensure successful handover of product to Central Automation Engineering team
- Work to and follow all Health and Safety guidelines, both external (OSHA) and internal (the Ocado CDM15 procedures and processes, HS&E policy and associated Arrangement Policies). To seek guidance from the HS&E (Health Safety & Environment) team where there is uncertainty
- Ensure product and process quality is maintained
Who You Are
To qualify for this position, you should meet the following requirements:
- At least 2 years of Project Engineering experience
- At least 2 years of experience with Field Installation of products and/or systems
- Experience with projects and products in manufacturing, automotive, airports, FMCG distribution or similar field
- Factory Acceptance Testing experience
- Ability to deliver projects on time and within approved budgets.
- IT literate, proficient with Microsoft Office and/or Google Suite and comfortable using CAD packages.
- Excellent technical and practical competence relating to automation and general engineering
- Aptitude to debate details (both technical and commercial) with both internal and external parties
- Work in a safe manner at all times and appreciate the implications and requirements of relevant product safety and compliance.
- Remote Product Support
- Understanding of applicable directives, codes standards etc. (e.g., machinery directive)
- Technical / Engineering qualification to at least a bachelor's degree level in a relevant field Ocado’s Automation Products require a range of specializations, these can include (but not limited to).
- Mechanical structures
- Plastics molding
- Functional safety
- Conveyor systems
- Electromechanical systems
Preferred (in addition to minimum):
- Working knowledge of a range of project management skills, tools and approaches
- Comfortable using CAD packages, e.g. solidworks, eplan, inventor etc.
- OSHA 10 or OSHA 30
- International working experience
- Remote with 60% travel in North America. Some International travel may be required for training purposes and based on project demand.
- Candidates must be able to access a major airport within 1 hour. Must have valid documentation for domestic and international travel with no restrictions
What We Offer
- 401k Plan; 100% match up to 5% of earnings
- Paid Vacation and Sick Days
- 10 Paid Public Holidays
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Medical and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
- Health Reimbursement Account; Company Contribution of 50% of Annual Deductible
- Company Paid Life Insurance
- Short Term Disability Insurance
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
Learn about our partnership with Kroger:
- Kroger Bets on Robots With Ocado Deal
- Meet Ocado, Kroger’s Newest Weapon in Its Grocery Delivery War with Amazon and Walmart
- Check out this video about our advanced robotics technology
Ocado is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, veteran’s status, or any other classification as required by applicable law.