“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast- growing company: today we have colleagues in 7 development centre across the UK and Europe, with offices open in London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria) and Barcelona (Spain), with a satellite office in Stockholm (Sweden).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
Our Handling Robotics teams are at the cutting-edge of our technology engineering business. From the design and manufacture of the most state-of-the-art products in the business, to their delivery into our multi-million pound Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) across the globe, our bespoke electrical and mechanical development projects are pushing the boundaries of innovation and automation.
Within Handling Robotics sits our Dispatch & Return teams, who oversee the development of product handling systems. We are searching for an accomplished Manufacturing Development Engineer who will play a key part in ensuring Ocado’s products are designed for manufacture and will be responsible for the process and procedures needed to transition products into full manufacture.
How you’ll spend your days...
Design & Development
- Collaborating closely with external and internal design engineers, rigorously ensuring that design for manufacturing best practices are applied during the design phase
- Acting as the primary technical interface with external equipment vendors
- Creating manufacturing documentation - Process Flow, PFMEA, Control Plan, Factory Acceptance Testing (FAT), SOP, Packaging Spec
- Identifying test and assembly fixture requirements, working with internal and external teams to design and deliver measurement equipment championing an in-process checking approach rather than end of line testing
- Conducting measurement system analysis (MSA) where necessary
Prototype, Testing & Manufacturing
- Ensuring process capability for components through development by identifying and tracking critical to quality parameters (CTQ)
- Create and handle manufacturing issues and risks lists and regularly communicate this internally and externally with the development teams and the vendors
- Lead factory acceptance testing (FAT) activities during initial development builds - including troubleshooting hardware issues
- Follow through with appropriate corrective actions put in place at the supplier for issues identified during prototype and pilot builds
- Oversee the transition of products from prototype into full manufacture
- Participate in value engineering activities, design verification activities and engineering change activities
You may be asked to perform tasks as required by management deemed as a reasonable request. This job description is a summary of the typical functions of the role, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of possible role responsibilities, tasks and duties and is subject to review. The responsibilities, tasks and duties of the job holder might differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, might form part of the job.
We want to talk to people with...
- Proven experience working with material handling equipment, manufacturing processes and automation
- Thorough knowledge of manufacturing processes including general machining processes, metal fabrication, metal extrusion, and electronics
- Proficiency in application of design for manufacturing practices to ensure quality in production
- Experience collaborating with external vendors on design, development, manufacturing and testing
- Understanding mechanical drawings and familiar in working with CAD and engineering BOMs/PDM.
- Understanding of different measurement methods
- Excellent problem-solving credentials, technical leadership and a passion to innovate
- Able to build relationships at all levels with both internal and external teams
- Able to communicate complex information in an appropriate, audience aware manner
- Demonstrates awareness and application of analytical / quality tools to aid the design and manufacturing processes. Tools may include FMEA, six sigma, process capability, PPAP, statistical process controls (SPC) and critical to quality (CTQ) parameter management
- Ability to write work instructions and technical reports
- A relevant degree or equivalent qualification is preferred
Bonus points if you also have
- SolidWorks 3D modelling, G-Suite applications, JIRA
- Experience in value engineering
- Knowledge of statistical analysis software such as Minitab
- Both technical and commercial awareness
- Ability to understand electrical drawings
What we can offer you...
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Please note that unfortunately we are unable to cover the cost of your visa at this time. We do cover the relevant company costs for visa sponsorship. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.