“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast- growing company: today we have colleagues in 7 development centre across the UK and Europe, with offices open in London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria) and Barcelona (Spain), with a satellite office in Stockholm (Sweden).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
Our Retrieval Robotics teams are at the cutting-edge of our technology engineering business. From the design and manufacture of the most state-of-the-art products in the business, to their delivery into our multi-million pound Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) across the globe, our bespoke electrical and mechanical development projects are pushing the boundaries of innovation and automation.
Within Retrieval Robotics sits our build workshop, where our team help to bring product ideas to life through rapid prototyping builds and testing. We're looking for a passionate electro-mechanical technician who can become part of the team that underpins Ocado Technology's technical focus, being a key contributor from the off. In this role, you will be a go-to person in your team, with great expertise, problem solving and knowledge sharing. Attitude is more important than detailed experience.
What would I be doing?
- Supporting team members with various tasks such as testing, building and verification.
- Reworking existing robots for upgrades.
- Set a high standard of workmanship.
- To be adaptable and flexible and a good team player.
- General managing and organising skills in a workshop environment.
- Maintaining and repairing MHE equipment.
- Robot testing, fault finding and repair.
- Identifying recurring problems with any equipment and implementing corrective procedures
through root cause analysis.
- Take part in projects aimed at continuous improvement and refurbishment.
- Maintaining tools and repair equipment to ensure they are fit for purpose.
- Supporting and promoting all continuous improvement activities on site.
- Accurately complete all related paperwork & documentation for all projects and activities.
We are looking for people with
- Excellent knowledge of fault finding, testing and repairing electrical circuits.
- Ability to read and interpret electrical drawings.
- Strong IT skills, such as knowledge of Google sheets, docs etc
- Able to understand and interrogate CAN systems and faults
- You will have completed an apprenticeship or have a relevant qualification in Electrical Engineering or extensive experience in a relevant field.
Bonus points if you also have...
- Experience with FMCG machinery.
- Machine Shop experience (Lathe, mills, presses etc).
- Fabrication experience(Fab/weld, sheet metal).
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.