Reporting to the Head of Group Accounting, the Senior Finance Manager (SFM) is a key member of the Accounting leadership team (part of the Finance Excellence hub).
The SFM is responsible for managing the Country & Balance Sheet and Commercial Financial Accounting teams, with key responsibilities including the implementation of and adherence to group accounting policies & practices, overseeing the close process across all commercial & general ledger teams.
The SFM is responsible for the substantiation and review of the group’s general ledger/relevant Balance Sheet accounts and reporting of period end results to wider finance teams.
What you will be doing?
- Leading my team to undertake ongoing and monthly accounting activities including: processing journal entries/allocations and the monthly closure of accounting books and the preparation of key reporting on the group’s financial performance
- Playing a leading role in the year end process, ensuring the team is set up for success and that audit requests are dealt with swiftly
- Ensuring Balance Sheet reconciliations have been completed in a timely manner and have been subjected to a robust review process
- Ensuring financial accounting adheres to group accounting policy (set by the in-house technical team) and IFRS, converting from local accounting practices (e.g. US GAAP) where appropriate Substantiating account/general ledger balances and providing first level commentary
- Accounting and close activities across all commercial accounting teams; general ledger close / period end processing and delivering to the close calendar timelines
- Ensuring my team builds excellent relationships with finance business partners and other areas of finance to quickly resolve variances and issues in order to meet reporting/timing requirements
- Supporting country accounting activities to enable the effective running of operations and the inclusion of country results in the results of the group
- Providing oversight; understand variances and proactively identify problems and opportunities to standardise, streamline and improve processes and accuracy
- Provision of operational reporting to Reporting and other Finance teams by the Accounting teams
- Closely partnering with the commercial finance team, including providing first level commentary on key movements, enabling business decision making
- Provision of accurate numbers for all disclosures in the annual report and statutory accounts
- Support the global process owner for record to report processes by driving process efficiency, effectiveness and compliance working closely with the Continuous Improvement team
- Driving process governance and measuring process effectiveness
- Working with and supporting the Head of Group Accounting to improve the service offering. Seek continuous improvement and constantly challenge the team to improve standards
- Building and developing a high performing and engaged team, creating a culture of excellence
- Driving the professionalisation of Ocado reporting and raising the bar on quality
- Supporting internal control and audit processes and the safeguarding of Ocado assets
- Embedding a culture of controls within the team, responsible for operating effectiveness of all key controls within the department’s processes and remediation of any control weaknesses
- Experienced leadership of a global financial operations environment with a track record of delivering effectiveness, efficiency and compliance targets / SLAs
- Relevant financial qualifications (ACA/ACCA) and understanding of relevant regulatory environments
- In depth understanding of core financial processes and relevant systems
- Excellent knowledge of accounting, tax and reporting standards & principles,
- Experience in a fast-paced, high growth, global organisation
- Experience in delivering great customer / user experience
- Experience in process improvement and automation
About Ocado Group
When our journey started, we were all about changing the way people shop for groceries. 20 years later, we’re a FTSE 100 business developing our own ground breaking technology, opening multiple sites at an accelerating rate and engaging in exciting new business partnerships around the world!
Transforming an industry means also transforming the way we do business. As we continually develop new technologies and customer propositions, we’re looking for the brightest talents to lead us into the next stage of our evolution: enhancing our capabilities, inspiring our teams and developing new ways of working.
Only a 20 minute commute from London King’s Cross and with a free shuttle bus provided from Hatfield Station to the office.
Ocado employee experience is very important to us. As well as keeping a smile on your face with weekly massages, a games room, coffee shop, weekly food samples and amazing food hall to satisfy your daily breakfast and lunch taste buds..All Ocado employees are offered a benefits package of - 25 days holiday, 15% discount on your weekly ocado shop, pension, share options, discounts on gym memberships and much much more….
Our values: we’re in it together, we are proud of what we do, we can be even better…...