“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast- growing company: today we have colleagues in 7 development centre across the UK and Europe, with offices open in London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria) and Barcelona (Spain), with a satellite office in Stockholm (Sweden).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
Our Handling Robotics teams are at the cutting-edge of our technology engineering business. From the design and manufacture of the most state-of-the-art products in the business, to their delivery into our multi-million pound Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) across the globe, our bespoke electrical and mechanical development projects are pushing the boundaries of innovation and automation.
What would I be doing?
The Hardware Engineering Team Lead will manage a team of hardware engineers, and will be responsible for the products they develop. The role will encompass team management, technical delivery and quality management. The Hardware Engineering Team Lead will report to an Engineering Manager and work alongside a Product Manager and Controls Engineering Team Lead.
- Grow, develop and lead a new engineering team focused on development and delivery of automation systems
- Accountable for the hardware engineering delivery from discovery through into product readiness handing over to platform implementation for series production
- Partner with Product Management on prioritisation, forward planning, forecasting, tracking and progress reporting
- Look ahead to identify risks as soon as possible (technical and organisational) and put in place mitigation plans, escalating when necessary
- Work actively to build good relationships and trust between the team and other stakeholders, embedding a ‘one Ocado’ approach
- Manage upwards effectively, making sure your Engineering Manager and Head of Engineering are informed of progress, celebrating team successes and making key risks visible.
- Work with engineering management to identify optimal development solutions considering internal and external resources
- Set clear goals, expectation and limits for team members, giving timely feedback to aid performance improvement and support / guidance when needed to ensure goals are achieved
- Ensure that products developed are optimised in terms of both product BOM cost and operational costs
- Ensure the right balance between feature delivery speed, product cost and technical/architectural innovation
- Help the team create the right engineering solutions through technical understanding, facilitation and where necessary decision making
- Ensure the team’s products and services pursue technical excellence and quality
- Suggest and implement improvements to identify and reduce waste in our ways of working, understanding cost and opportunity implications
We want to talk to people with...
- A good degree in an engineering subject such as Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, a related technical subject or equivalent experience
- Excellent ability to build trust and strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent at collaborating and facilitating collaborative working within and with other teams
- Good knowledge of a typical hardware product development lifecycle
- Ability to understand mechanical engineering data and manufacturing techniques
- Ability to be assertive but diplomatic with a bias for action, collaboration and optimism
- Ability to mentor others effectively and support development
- Ability to lead and direct your own and others’ work to achieve objectives
- Ability to produce and present technical findings across all business levels
- Proficient in use of MS-Office / G suite
- Flexibility to travel to Ocado’s other sites within the UK and overseas as and when require
Bonus points if you also have
- Experience or good working knowledge of project management tools
- Experience of recruitment
- Experience of leading teams
- Experience or good working knowledge of agile methodologies
- Experience with Solidworks and PDM or PLM systems
- Experience of using Six Sigma tools in design
What we can offer you...
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.