“Ocado Technology, powering the future of retail through sustained disruptive technology innovation...”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast- growing company: today we have colleagues in 7 development centre across the UK and Europe, with offices open in London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria) and Barcelona (Spain), with a satellite office in Stockholm (Sweden).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
The Ocado Robotics team will act as a ‘centre of excellence’ driving forward Ocado Technologies Robotic Arm capabilities, spanning multiple use cases across different industries. We’re looking for ambitious, creative problem-solvers who can challenge convention and make an impact.
As a Product Manger in this team, you will partner with Engineering teams within Advanced Technology. You will provide clarity of business requirements across Ocado Robotics and act as a bridge between the technical and business worlds. You will directly partner with an Engineering Team Lead, to be a key go-to person within a specific product area, sharing responsibility for product realisation to deliver great products and solutions for our clients and stakeholders.
Your responsibilities will include;
Planning, Delivery & Validation:
- Sharing accountability with the Engineering Team Lead to drive the team towards realising defined goals.
- Working with Engineering to track progress against current commitments and forecast future delivery.
- Applying fit-for-purpose agile processes, escalating and removing obstacles in workflow wherever required.
- Using various prioritization techniques and maintains a list of work to be done and its order of priority for delivery purposes at an appropriate level of granularity.
- Managing expectations within Technology for the rate of delivery required to achieve our platform goals.
Leading & Influencing:
- Acting as the go-to person for particular product areas covered by the development team.
- Partnering with Engineering Team Lead(s) to create a strong sense of purpose and mission for the development team.
- Establishing product alignment within Technology being the voice of the vision/strategy/priorities within the division.
- Leveraging multiple sources of information to analyse user, system, and customer behaviour to diagnose and form clear recommendations.
- Embedding best practices in tracking, analysis, and data-driven problem solving.
- Using qualitative and quantitative methods to understand customer/business needs and opportunities, collaborating with Product Analysts where appropriate;
- Experimenting quickly to validate hypotheses and find fit for purpose solutions.
Stakeholders & Collaboration:
- Communicating effectively with a variety of stakeholders and small groups, discerning appropriate detail and cadence.
- Articulating complex concepts in a way that end-users can follow and understand.
- Applying strong emotional intelligence when working with other teams and departments to manage interdependencies between platforms and products effectively.
- Facilitating and working closely with teams in estimation and review sessions, challenging appropriately to meet product goals and achieve product vision.
- Championing the product vision & ensures the plan is in line with vision and goals and continues to be fit for purpose throughout roadmap delivery.
- Understanding how their product fits in with the broader platform.
- Providing product expertise based on a sound understanding of the platform and capability requirements, signposting to technical knowledge where needed.
- Defining scope & prioritising stories to maximise business value.
- Understanding and measuring the key business drivers for your product domain and assess how new capabilities impact upon them.
Insight & Innovation:
- Actively seeking out opportunities for incremental value in achieving product goal commitments.
- Monitoring progress, looking for ways to improve the product & make adjustments based on strategic goals.
- Contributing to documentation that is shared with relevant stakeholders as new features are developed and released.
- Proactively sharing product knowledge, insight and tools with others Ocado Technology and representing Ocado expertise externally when necessary.
We would like to hear from you if you have...
- Can-do attitude in a fast-paced, complex and often ambiguous environment
- Strong bias for action and impatience for improvement
- Commercial-awareness and you are user-focused - the ability to understand needs and identify priorities to unlock value through analytics.
- Interest in and curiosity about Robotics.
The experience we are looking for is...
- Experience in the design, development or delivery of industrial automation hardware
- Experience with managing products built by engineering teams
- Experience as Product Owner/Manager
- Ability to work in a team effectively and / or work autonomously, dealing well with uncertainty
- Knowledge of working with multiple functional areas, including product management, engineering, regulatory compliance, analytics
- Proven ability to plan, prioritize, manage, track and deliver on commitments
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Defining product roadmaps, building collaboratively with design and engineering peers, and shipping at scale
- Capture, documentation and communication of requirements to support product realisation
What we can offer you...
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. While we are to able offer sponsorship, please note that unfortunately, we are unable to cover the cost of your visa at this time. We do cover the relevant company costs for visa sponsorship. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.