Office Manager/Business Support Specialist
Who We Are
Ocado is one of the UK’s 100 biggest companies trading on the London Stock Exchange (Ticker OCDO). It comprises one of the world's largest online only grocery retailers, operating its own grocery retail business under Ocado.com, together with its Ocado Solutions division.
The Ocado Solutions division is responsible for providing Ocado’s innovative advanced robotics technology, known as the Ocado Smart Platform ("OSP"), to our major retail clients around the world. OSP comprises access to Ocado's physical infrastructure solutions, running highly efficient warehouse operations for the single pick of products, together with the entire end-to-end proprietary software applications and advanced robotics required to operate a world-class online grocery business.
Our unique, proprietary and industry-leading technology is set to transform the shopping experience of consumers around the world. We have partnered with 9 of the world’s largest grocery retailers including Aeon here in Japan to help redefine the grocery customer experience through the adoption of the centralized, automated model of online retailing provided by the Ocado Smart Platform.
Come join us as we build our Japanese solutions team, bringing world-class innovation and technologies to one of the most exciting global markets for e-commerce.
What You Will Do
As our Office Manager/Business Support Specialist, you will provide a business support service to the office based solutions and implementation team, to deliver a high quality, effective and efficient day-to-day management of the business operations and some human resources administrative activities. This position will report to the Head of Partnerships for APAC, but will collaborate regularly with and seek direction on HR initiatives from the Regional Human Resources Business Partner as well as other teams and individuals from the global business. For example you will be the liaison with our UK based international payroll and finance teams, as well as our Japan based external business administrators.
Day-to-day responsibilities could include:
- Ensure that our office facilities are all functioning to a good standard
- Negotiate contracts and manage suppliers for local service providers (mobile phones, internet provider etc.)
- Purchase office supplies, stationary and other ad-hoc items, keeping purchases within budget, ensuring company purchasing policies are adhered to and an audit trail is maintained.
- Support employees travel requests and expense requests
- Support in-house health and safety tasks, reviews, and audits
- Liaise with the technology team for the provision of desktop technology; partner with security of our site, and facilities management
- Liaise with external mobile phone providers for the provision of employee mobile phones
- Liaise with the International and Japanese Payroll team and provide any relevant information for ad hoc payroll queries as and when they arise
- Coordinate onboarding plans with new hires and internal stakeholders; liaise with HR team to ensure completion of employment and payroll verifications
- Receive and sort mail and deliveries; liaise with accounts payable on invoicing
- Support staff by coordinating on-site interviews and proctoring assessments
- Support staff by coordinating team building events and employee parties and social activities
- Support the Regional HR Business Partner by enabling managers to conduct performance and pay review meetings; advise managers on how to use and leverage Peakon, our employee engagement tool, to continually improve employee engagement and satisfaction; assist managers with their action plans and keep on track; help with site communications about Peakon and its surveys to employees and promote participation and engagement
- Co-implement HR programs on site, as directed by the Regional HR Business Partner, which may cascade from our central Employee Engagement, Internal Communications, Global Mobility, HR Central Services, HR Business Partners, L&D, and the Reward teams
- Liaise with the Ocado as well as external HR advisors on employee questions, escalations, welfare events, and HR administration
- Meet and greet any Ocado guests and visitors to the site
- Organise office space and ensure meeting rooms and working areas meet current health and safety standards
- Ad-hoc translation of documents for internal use, and other language support for non-Japanese speaking members of the team
- Other office administration functions and special projects, as required
Who You Are
To qualify for the Office Manager/ Business Support Specialist role, you should meet the following requirements:
- A minimum of 3 years of relevant experience, with 1-2 years experience in HR administration preferred
- Experience working in a fast-paced and matrixed management environment preferred
- Experience working in a global company
- Experience supporting employees required
- Proven ability to build credibility and relationships with employees at all levels of the organization
- Additional experience working within an office environment including administration, facilities management, finance, and/or health and safety preferred
- People oriented, with excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Bi-lingual, or fluency in both Japanese and English required
- Organizational skills, with the ability to multitask and prioritize
- A pro-active, pragmatic and creative approach to problem-solving
- Ability to work autonomously with little direction
- Comfortable collaborating with peers remotely and in other site locations
- Good level of computer literacy with proficiency in office applications (ideally G-Suite)
Our Business Support Administrator position is located in our office in Makuhari, Chiba. During the pandemic you can expect to work around 80% from home. Following the pandemic this will be an office-based position.
Learn about our partnership with Aeon:
- Aeon to build smart warehouse with aid of UK grocer Ocado
- Japan's Aeon signs up Ocado in online grocery bet
- Check out this video about our advanced robotics technology
Ocado is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, veteran’s status, or any other classification as required by applicable law.