Ocado Technology, powering the future of retail through sustained disruptive technology innovation...”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using the cloud, robotics, AI, and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, the world’s largest online-only grocery retailer as well as the global ‘Ocado Smart Platform’. With everything from websites to fully autonomous warehouse that we design in-house, our employees need to be specialists in a wide range of technologies to help drive our business.
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
This is an exciting new role that forms part of the Ecommerce product teams that underpin Ocado Technology's product focus, bridging technical and business worlds to translate business needs into great products and solutions for our clients. This high-profile Search Product Manager role is within the Product Discovery department, our mission is to assist customers build their shopping baskets, striking the right balance between a speedy shop and an inspirational shopping journey. We support our clients’ retail businesses by helping their customers browse an ever-growing range of products and find what they’re looking for. Search is therefore a strategic and core part of the overall Ocado Smart Platform (OSP) Ecommerce proposition.
What you will be doing
As Product Manager in Search you will be working on large-scale user-facing applications in search, recommendations or machine learning powered products. You will drive the vision, strategy and growth of the search product and be responsible for delivering best-in-class strategic and impactful improvements. This is a key role with a focus on step-change of our search capabilities, to provide relevant and personalised search results to the customer. You will work with highly skilled team members across engineering, data science, design and research and with other teams that either enable or benefit from search, including personalisation, recommendations and voice teams.
Your key responsibilities will be:
Leading & influencing
- Leads product thinking for the search domain and partners with Engineering to effectively influence development decisions
- Helps to create a strong sense of purpose and mission for search and takes ownership for its outcomes
- Ensures the product teams are focussed on delivering value against key business metrics
- Demonstrates strong empathy with teams and customers to effectively balance competing needs for the search domain
- Evangelises customer needs in a compelling way to a variety of audiences
- Search product expert, understanding the business landscape, technology opportunities, the customer and their needs and how to translate this into solutions
- Develop and articulates the search vision, sets the strategy and proposes impactful improvements with an insight and data driven roadmap
- Collate and define clients//business needs, including language implementation, driving discussions as part of discovery and feature specification
- Understand how machine learning can be used to model intent, understand user queries and rank search results to deliver personalised experience
- Demonstrate an understanding of the technical and business complexity of search and machine learning and effectively uses this information in scoping and determining the feasibility of solutions
- Defines scope & uses appropriate prioritisation tools to maximise value delivered over time
- Understand and measures the key business drivers for search and potential impact on other domains and capabilities eg voice
Insight & innovation
- Collaborates with Product Marketing and UX Research to keep up to date with market trends and opportunities and has a strong knowledge of related external/competitor products
- Actively seeks out opportunities for incremental value in achieving product goal commitments
- Monitors progress, looking for ways to improve search & make adjustments based on strategic goals
- Builds effective communication channels to gather feedback from customers and clients to assess outcomes or define the next problem to solve
- Innovates to generate value e.g. finding unforeseen customer desires, or untapped market segments
- Proactively shares product knowledge, insight and tools with others in Ocado Technology and representing Ocado expertise externally when necessary
- Develops a deep understanding of customer problems in search, leveraging multiple information sources to analyse behaviour and form clear recommendations
- Uses advanced qualitative and quantitative methods to understand customer/business needs and opportunities, collaborating with UX and data science
- Focuses on the most important problems that deliver value against the key business metrics in search
- Experiments quickly to validate hypotheses and find fit for purpose solutions
- Applies excellent decision making with clear rationale, ensuring alignment to search strategy.
Stakeholder management & collaboration
- Applies exceptional emotional intelligence when working with other teams and departments to manage interdependencies between platforms and products effectively
- Builds a robust and high trust network of stakeholders
We would like to hear from you if you have...
- Relevant industry experience or technology business working on large-scale user-facing applications and in high-growth environments
- Product management experience in search, recommendations or machine learning powered products
- Track record in driving vision and strategy and defining roadmaps for your product
- Experience defining and communicating requirements to drive product outcomes that meet business objectives
- Worked collaboratively with design and engineering peers to build and ship value-driven products, through all stages of the software development lifecycle.
- Experience working with multiple functional areas, including product management, data science, engineering, UX/UI
- Proven ability to plan, mange a product backlog, track and deliver on commitments
- Experience working with cloud search solutions or with search in different languages or alphabets is a bonus, but not required
What we can offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment, we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Please note that unfortunately we are unable to cover the cost of your visa, except the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.