“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast- growing company: today we have colleagues in 7 development centre across the UK and Europe, with offices open in London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria) and Barcelona (Spain), with a satellite office in Stockholm (Sweden).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor
A bit about us...
Our team is involved in designing and developing robust control algorithms for the Ocado’s wheeled robotic system, performing experimental and modelling analyses to characterize the system behaviour, and use data driven approaches for performance evaluation and control design.
The team will improve existing control strategies and optimise our perception systems to improve scalability, efficiency and performance. As a senior software engineer, you will work with other specialist teams contributing to the continuous improvement of Ocado’s Bot control systems stack.
How you'll spend your days…
- Designing and developing embedded software for our motion controllers and our data analysis pipelines
- Writing code - for discovery, analysis and implementation of solutions
- Creating tests to validate accuracy and conformity of code
- Review and maintain code written by others
- Investigating issues as reported by grid operations and other engineering teams
- Analysing hardware behaviour and performance
- Collaborate closely with cross functional engineering teams
We’d like to talk to you if you have...
- Experience in developing highly reliable embedded software for mobile robots
- Control systems engineering experience, ideally in a real-time environment
- Experience with version control (Git) and CI/CD pipelines
- Good problem-solving credentials, technical leadership and ability to innovate
- Experience in using data Frameworks (BigQuery, Google Cloud Platform, Airflow)
- Proficiency in Python with associated data processing/machine learning toolkits (Numpy, Scipy, Jupyter notebooks, etc.)
- Experience in developing unit tests and working with other testing frameworks
Bonus points if you also have...
- Have a relevant qualification in mechatronics, robotics, computer science
- Motor control and knowledge of motor types
- A good understanding of Electronics would be helpful
- Actuators and sensors
- Experience with control solutions for mobile robots
- Experience with working with Big Data and data analytics tools
Don’t worry though, this is not a set in stone requirements list. We recognise the software industry is filled with smart people from so many different backgrounds. If you enjoy being part of the team and if you like: learning fast (through experimentation, self-motivation etc); being autonomous but able to collaborate (sharing knowledge is important to us); craftsmanship and innovation (we never stop questioning how we can be better), then we look forward to hearing from you.
What we can offer you…
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Please note that unfortunately we are unable to cover the cost of your visa at this time. We do cover the relevant company costs for visa sponsorship. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.