We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using the cloud, robotics, AI, and IoT. We develop the innovative software and systems that power Ocado.com, the world’s largest online-only grocery retailer as well as the global ‘Ocado Smart Platform’. With everything from websites to fully autonomous warehouse that we design in-house, our employees need to be specialists in a wide range of technologies to help drive our business.
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What would I be doing?
The Research Team of Ocado Technology is currently undergoing an expansion and we are looking to hire a simulation expert to support and enhance the team's capabilities and to contribute to the innovation that fuels the growth of Ocado. The Research Team collaborates with external partners on a diverse range of projects. Initial projects are linked to simulation modelling of traffic and pedestrians in a 3D model of a real world environment.
- Build and test interactive applications that visualize synthetic and live digital representations of real environments
- Create statistical and discrete event simulations of a range of physical systems and deploy simulations to scalable infrastructure
- Use the simulation tools to obtain meaningful data, to perform analysis and make decisions on system and algorithms design
- Closely collaborate with other research teams and external project collaborators
- Plan work and report results internally and externally in written reports and project meetings
We would love to hear from you if you have:
- Proven numeracy and ability to think analytically, e.g. a strong degree or PhD in a numerical or relevant scientific subject
- Experience and enthusiasm for simulation, modelling and analysis
- Solid programming skills, ability to write clean code, ability to communicate clearly and precisely with technical and non-technical teams, both verbally and in writing
- Speed of learning, able to quickly pick up new ideas and use a wide range of tools to solve challenging problems
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Drive to continuously improve and find better ways of working as a team
This would make you stand out from the crowd:
- Experience in data processing, analytics, statistical analysis
- Experience in a research environment in either academia or industry
- Experience and/or understanding of agent-based modelling
- Experience with deep learning frameworks and UI toolkits
- Experience with Google cloud services or other cloud services
- Experience of coding in Java
- Proficiency in Python;
- Experience using agile software development methodologies.
What we can offer you...
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on our your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado staff discounts across Ocado.com and Fetch.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs such as badminton, running and table tennis, not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, our vacancy close dates may be subject to change. Ocado is an equal opportunity employer.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.