“Ocado Technology, powering the future of retail through sustained disruptive technology innovation...”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using the cloud, robotics, AI, and IoT. We develop the innovative software and systems that power Ocado.com, the world’s largest online-only grocery retailer as well as the global ‘Ocado Smart Platform’. With everything from websites to fully autonomous warehouse that we design in-house, our employees need to be specialists in a wide range of technologies to help drive our business.
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
A bit about the team...
The Rainbow Systems Group is looking for a team lead for the Rainbow Dash team. The team is responsible for the productionisation of the cutting edge algorithms used in the high-level control of the picking solution within our next generation OSP CFCs. The successful candidate will lead the team in the challenge of developing robust, efficient production software, being responsible for a well engineered and tested end product, and adapting to the changing requirements from the business as the new solution evolves. The Rainbow Dash team must work closely with the Simulation and Algorithm Development teams, as well as the other Rainbow Systems teams to build, and maintain the full solution.
The Team Leader role in Ocado Technology is an organisationally focused role with a dash of technical scope. A Team Leader’s primary responsibilities are:
- Lead the team to produce well engineered and tested software solutions and assume a high level of ownership of all work developed by members of the team.
- Facilitate the continuous improvement of the team, building and promoting a positive working environment for the team within your area as well as other business areas you will engage with.
- Effectively manage team members in line with company policy and procedures, including performance, development, disciplinary and conflict resolution with effective feedback.
- Mentor/coach team members and assist with recruiting the right people as we build the team.
- Run regular 1:1s with all members of the team.
- Ensure that the objectives set by the business (e.g. grid uptime, and throughput) are met.
- Ensure that common development standards and Ocado standards are followed.
- Take an active role in championing positive development practices such as continuous delivery.
- Together with the Dash product owner, maintain the backlog, driving requirements identified by the team.
- Maintain a close relationship with the Dash product owner, operations teams across all CFCs, PCI, and bot development teams.
- Offer a point of escalation for complex support issues, and work with the other teams within Rainbow Systems to maintain a support rota across all teams for the Dash application.
We’re looking for people who are passionate about developing team members and organisations, are not afraid to challenge the status quo and drive improvement.
We are passionate about people with...
- Good communication skills.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- 2.1 BSc in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a similar numerate degree.
- Experience and interest in algorithms and optimisation.
- Software development experience.
Bonus points if you also have...
- Previous experience leading a team.
- Confident in using Java, or a similar OO language.
- Experience working with agile methodologies such as Kanban / Scrum.
- Some exposure to large, standalone applications.
What we can offer you...
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Please note that unfortunately we are unable to cover the cost of your visa at this time. We do cover the relevant company costs for visa sponsorship. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.