"We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using the cloud, robotics, AI, and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, the world’s largest online-only grocery retailer as well as the global ‘Ocado Smart Platform’. With everything from websites to fully autonomous warehouse that we design in-house, our employees need to be specialists in a wide range of technologies to help drive our business.
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What does the Robotics Research Team do?
As part of our Advanced Technology division, our talented robotics engineering teams are working to automate physical processes that require sensing and judgement through the use of robotics and machine vision.
Currently, our focus is on robotic pick - using sensors and robotic arms to pick customers’ orders. We are proud to say this is already live at our customer fulfilment centre based in Erith, but there is still much work to be done to streamline and harden the system for widespread deployment across all of our sites. We need gifted researchers and engineers to help us optimise the throughput of the system, and to enhance the system’s functionality so we can take our robotics products to the next level.
By using what we have learnt from the development of our robotic pick, we have been able to create even more cutting edge products, such as robotic decant and advanced guidance for AGVs which help us to move pallets of stock and completed orders through our CFCs.
Our division is growing, and so we need great software engineers and roboticists of varied levels of experience to join us, forge a great team together, and drive the advancement of revolutionary robotics and automation.
What will you do?
- Participating effectively in investigating and implementing sensor-driven robotics solutions to specific automation problems
- Taking an active role in the choice of technologies and techniques used in the delivery of robotics application demonstrators
- Developing novel learning by demonstration/imitation/reinforcement algorithms to enhance the capabilities of our robots with new skills learned from a human teacher
- Participating in the development of several aspects of a robotic system
- Performing mathematical modelling and algorithm development to achieve real-time sensor-guided robot motions
- Developing software that implements novel and sophisticated solutions to specific robotic applications
- Documenting and presenting theoretical developments and their software implementation
- Demonstrating working pre-production systems and thoroughly testing them to establish their operational limits
- Keeping up to date with the latest results in the robotic scientific community
- Liaising with production engineering for the purpose of aiding the adoption of newly developed solutions
We'd like to hear from you if you have...
- A specialism in the field of robotic learning and a good software engineer able to translate her/his own scientific ideas into reusable code
- A PhD or 3 years relevant working experience in robotic learning by demonstration/imitation, reinforcement learning applied to robotics or a related topic
- Experience in machine learning techniques and developing machine learning solutions, applied to robotics or other domains
- Good mathematical modelling skills
- Good software engineering skills: ability to write reusable and clean code
- Familiarity with common software development tools and practices (e.g. source control)
- Demonstrable experience in developing software in C++ and python
- Experience working with robotic arms or hands for manipulation tasks
- Experience developing robot components using a robotic middleware/framework
Bonus points if you have…
- Familiarity with manipulating images, either as learning input or for developing computer vision algorithms;
- Performing integration of large or complex systems;
- Developing code using ROS;
- Experience developing on Ubuntu Linux;
- Developing and validating robotic software using simulators;
- Testing and writing tests for the developed code as a practice.
What we can offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.