Ocado is the world’s leading innovator in online grocery shopping with a highly sophisticated and pioneering technology led solution. Forming exciting new business partnerships with retailers internationally, our automated warehouse solutions enable our partners to deliver what their customers want.
At the heart of this is our Engineering Operations team who play an important part in the solution. Based on-site, they are key in maintaining a 24/7 operation that delivers our partners expectations, whilst providing pivotal feedback to internal teams that enable future development of our products.
With this being our first solution in France, there will never be a better time to join us.
So what’s the role?
As an Engineering team manager you will report directly to the Senior Engineering Operations manager. Your responsibilities will be:
- Day to day supervision of shift engineers and technicians and maintenance shift members (10 to 15 people) including prioritisation and allocation of workload
- Promote safety at work culture by practicing what you preach. On the job coaching of Engineers and Technicians to make sure they are working effectively and safely.
- Work to and follow all French Regulations and Ocado Health and Safety policies
- Establish a relationship of trust with our partner’s operations team. Timely plan and prioritise maintenance windows in order to minimise impact to operations.
- Working closely with inbound, outbound, and other support teams on a daily basis to ensure direction of labour, and planned engineering activities fully support operation.
- Take ownership of defined Planned maintenance plan using our internal computerised maintenance system and provide feedback to Maintenance manager
- Be proactive in the development of team members, Advise, lead and motivate team members, assess capability and identify and resolve training and skill requirements, be involved in disciplinary issues.
- Assessment of engineering team skills and assisting in up skilling and training of staff, including integration of first line maintenance of plant and equipment.
- Management and development of department processes; including shift handovers, briefs, and defect reporting/resolving
- Reporting and monitoring of data capture for automation and maintenance activities
- Ability to lead from the front, driving pace accuracy and standards. As part of this be competent and experienced as an Engineer in own right, either mechanically or electrically, although must be familiar and competent with both streams of engineering to enable decision-making.
What we are looking for:
- Good technical ability relating to automation hardware and software, this may include, but is not limited to:
- Bachelor Degree in Engineering coupled with relevant applied learning, Engineering Technician Apprenticeship, Electrical and/or mechanical skills preferably gained in an FMCG background
- Experience at a management or supervisory level within an automated environment
- Good organisational ability and the ability to plan and prioritise.
- Sound analytical skills with an eye for detail; good problem solving ability and a practical approach.
- Comprehensive understanding of production, picking and storage MHE systems, gained from experience in an automated environment.
- Experience in Electrical and mechanical maintenance, and knowledge of PLCs and Controls
- Preferably experience with Inverter Drive Systems, AC/DC Motors, Pneumatics and Hydraulics and buildings facilities.
- Experience of maintenance and organisational methodologies and tools (TPM, lean, Kanban, SMED, 5S)
- Good interpersonal skills with an ability to meet demanding targets in a pressurised environment.
- Ability to communicate clearly both internally and Suppliers
- Experience of working with Computerised maintenance management systems
- Numerate and PC literate including Word, Excel etc.
This role will require flexibility due to us being a 24/ 7 operation and a shift pattern will be put in place that will require working days, nights and weekends.