About this role…
London is our newest Ocado Technology Development Centre. In September 2020 the centre reached 100 Software Engineers, Product Managers and Data Scientists within 15 months of opening - the fastest we have grown a centre to date.
It is strategically important. Our first and only presence in London, it is our key gateway to the capital’s technical community and talent. Over the next couple of years we see the centre growing to 300 people and moving into a best-in-class office in central London. As its stage of development evolves, so does the support it requires - this role will lead in the next stage.
This role is part of the UK Development Centres team which is accountable for the successful operation of all our UK Development Centres. Our team stewards our culture, supports and energises our leaders, and works with our People and Recruitment experts to ensure our teams have what they need to be a success. This role will work with the Head of Centres in achieving this for the UK and in particular, lead on the ground in achieving this in London.
Key areas of responsibility include: building our brand on the London Tech scene, providing a great experience to those who join our team and finding creative ways to continually improve it; creating a compelling and effective working environment; and enabling communication, both internally to amplify the best of our culture.
Operating at its best, Ocado Technology London will have the entrepreneurial spirit and community of a start-up while benefiting from the mighty support and ambition of our 2,500 strong engineering organisation. This role will likewise benefit from having the space to be entrepreneurial while learning how a FTSE 50 company operates.
How you'll spend your days…
- Building our brand on the London Tech scene partnering with our Tech PR and Comms team to build our strategy.
- Encouraging and supporting experimentation as we transition to a hybrid model of at home and in office working.
- Establishing and managing the use of office space.
- Working with leaders and employees to understand needs in detail and collaborating to implement best practice.
- Creating initiatives/services that improve the employee experience based on need and internal and external best practice.
- Being heavily involved with onboarding new starters to the centre.
- Championing our culture and the local employee experience (Engagement events / Wellbeing / Culture).
- Being responsible for managing a dedicated budget and centre expenditure.
- Ensuring we have the necessary support and services to grow.
- Working with suppliers and other parts of Ocado Group to effectively manage the working environment and employee experience.
- Driving the effort to find and design our new office space.
- Creating forums for teams to share their successes and failures.
- Tailoring the communication of wider Ocado initiatives to the London centre audience.
We're passionate about people with...
- Experience leading communication in a wide variety of ways (formal and informal public speaking, formal and informal writing).
- Experience leading and promoting company culture/branding in London.
- Experience encouraging the celebration of success with cross-departmental knowledge sharing.
- Experience working with cross-functional departments (HR/Recruitment, Tech PR, Technology) and facilitating forums to discuss priorities in each area and opportunities for collaboration.
- Experience influencing at all levels, including senior management, to drive forward centre initiatives.
- Experience of the London Technology market (employers/business networks/meetups).
- Experience speaking externally on behalf of a business.
About Ocado Technology
“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast- growing company: today we have colleagues in 7 development centre across the UK and Europe, with offices open in London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria) and Barcelona (Spain), with a satellite office in Stockholm (Sweden).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor
What we can offer you...
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.