Ocado is a UK based company admitted to trading on the London Stock Exchange (Ticker OCDO). It comprises one of the world's largest dedicated online grocery retailers, operating its own grocery and general merchandise retail businesses in the UK under Ocado.com* and other specialist shop banners, together with its Ocado Solutions division.
Ocado Solutions is responsible for corporate partnerships, providing the Ocado Smart Platform ("OSP") as a service to retailers around the world. OSP comprises access to Ocado's physical infrastructure solutions, running highly efficient warehouse operations for the single pick of products, together with the entire end-to-end proprietary software applications required to operate a world-class online grocery business. It is underpinned by Ocado's proven expertise and experience as a dedicated online grocer in the UK.
Our unique, proprietary and industry-leading technology is set to transform the shopping experience of consumers around the world. We have partnered with Kroger to help it redefine the grocery customer experience in the United States through the adoption of the centralized, automated model of online retailing provided by the Ocado Smart Platform.
Come join us as we build our North American team, bringing world-class innovation and technologies to one of the most exciting global markets for e-commerce!
What You Will Do
The Senior Engineering Operations Manager (SEOM) will manage, coordinate and lead the strategy of the Engineering Operations function of the Fulfillment Center (FC) ensuring an efficient and cost-effective service to our operational customers. The successful candidate will manage the department, ensuring close working relationships and coordination between the Engineering support function and the Operation as well as to optimize the availability and performance of the facility, and it’s MHE automation. Additionally, the SEOM will set objectives for and monitor the performance of first-line managers and team leaders, focus on continuous improvement, and champion change in all areas of MHE, operations, people, and customer responsiveness.
As our Senior Engineering Operations Manager, your day-to-day responsibilities could include:
- Serve as Site Manager for a newly constructed FC start-up while supporting the hiring for the local management team and support/facilitate their training phase in order to meet Kroger’s operational ramps and milestones.
- Develop an environment for continuous training and education for the workforce regarding Six Sigma, Lean tools and other optimization methodologies; set the tone for a culture of continuous improvement.
- Manage engineering and technician team members to reduce mean-time-to-repair and to sustain excess available capacity to meet the customer’s daily planned capacity
- Plan and coordinate Engineering Operations activities through First Line Managers, ensuring the required level of service is delivered to customers
- Assist with the preparation for site specific budgets and forecasts then manages costs, overheads and expenditures in line with Ocado’s Corporate defined financial goals.
- Mentor, coach, and develop site managers, engineering and technical resources to complete the required projects on time and in line with capital expense expectation while supporting the continued growth of the business.
- Identify projects and operational issues that are in distress and provide the necessary oversight to correct the issues.
- Plan and schedule the workflow for each department and operation according to established manufacturing sequences, customer schedules and lead times.
- Gather information to evaluate current work processes in order to determine the flow of work, yield improvements, time requirements, costs, and duration.
- Coordinate routine employee meetings to communicate operational objectives and yield improvements.
- Manage capacity planning/scheduling, inventory accuracy, fill rates, on-time performance, the transportation environment, order flow through the organization that is driven by Kroger’s key SLA items and how that influences how the operation runs and measures itself
- Monitor, analyze and report performance to schedule of production and production support activities, utilizing information derived from material and production control systems defined by Ocado Corp.
- Drive key customer success programs to ensure Kroger is achieving their desired outcomes with the full array of Ocado solutions.
- Interacts and partners with Kroger to achieve a collective goal that supersedes individual functional, tactical goals to hit the trifecta of cost/quality/delivery from an external customer point of view.
- Work in close collaboration and partnership with Ocado’s regional and corporate Finance, Human Resources, Sales, Marketing, Materials, Manufacturing Engineering, Quality, & Regulatory departments to optimize the overall operational excellence as well as maintaining alignment with other US sites.
- Manage specific Service Level Agreements performance levels agreed with the operational customer
- Ensure effective communications within the Operational Team as well as regional management to ensure the same message is delivered across the operation
- Ensure that day to day implementation of Health, Safety and Environment Policy and Practices are followed across the operation and managed according to OSHA, Ocado standards and regional/local regulations.
You may be asked to perform tasks as required by management deemed as a reasonable request from time-to-time. This job description is a summary of the typical functions of the role, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of possible role responsibilities, tasks, and duties and is subject to review. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder might differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, might form part of the job.
The initial 6 to 9 months will involve training and most likely require some travel in order to obtain the training from another site in North America and/or UK. In the event the operation is undergoing its initial startup, the daily responsibilities for this role may be different while supporting the needs of a facility in its initial stages of starting its operations. Once the facility is commissioned, the roles defined in this job description will become the daily responsibilities for the SEOM as well as all of the roles reporting to the SEOM.
Who You Are
To qualify for this position, you need to meet the following requirements:
- A Bachelor of Science degree in a technical field of study required
- Operational leadership experience over a technical operation where daily supervision over engineering and technician roles was involved is a requirement.
- Min 10 years of progressive leadership experience leading manufacturing, operations and/or fulfillment teams; high-tech manufacturing and/or automated distribution facilities is preferred.
- Previous experience managing technical teams for a start-up and/or new technology introduction.
- 5+ years of experience managing a 100+ technician and engineering staff for a 24/7 operations is required.
- Knowledge of and demonstrable competencies in OSHA and other Health and Safety guidelines; Direct experience in projects which incorporate Process Safety Management and proficient understanding of compliance and regulations in the region
- Demonstrated success optimizing operations using quality control methodologies like Total Quality Management, Lean Manufacturing and/or Six Sigma.
- Minimum of 10+ years of success in the selection, motivation, development, evaluation, recognition, and retention of competent and caring personnel.
- Able to analyze production specifications and plant capacity data and performs mathematical calculations to determine manufacturing processes, tools, and human resource requirements.
- Experienced in actively taking action in forming internal customer partnerships, building consensus and compromises with internal stakeholders
- Experienced at developing and facilitating employee process improvement teams to build cohesiveness and improve the overall results of the respective manufacturing areas; involves all employees with yield improvement activities.
- Communicates, administers, and ensures compliance to company policies for safety, environmental, and human resources.
- Demonstrated experience managing customers, vendors and other program stakeholders in the delivery of complex project requirements to cost, schedule and quality.
- A sound understanding of and experience using Google Suites, Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and Outlook; utilize latest technology and software programs to enhance the growth of the organization.
- Possess a management style that is tolerant of ambiguity, resilient in the eye of uncertainty, positive thinking with a creative problem solving mindset and tools to have conversations with internal and external leaders that are at comparable organizational level outside of engineering.
- Ability to take ownership and accountability and demonstrate a keen sense of self-awareness in regard to strengths and development areas.
- A champion of diversity, who can work effectively in an environment where different beliefs and ideas are appreciated, and proactively seeks leaders who represent a diverse community.
- Must have the ability to travel domestically and internationally to headquarters located in the UK and other US domestic and international locations, if required.
- Develop the organization to align with the Ocado’s desired behaviors and values to leave a lasting and positive customer impression.
Our Senior Engineering Operations Manager position is located in our Pleasant Prairie, WI location in a Kroger Fulfillment Center.
For a sense of who we are and what we deliver we invite you to explore online to learn more about Ocado Technology and Ocado Engineering, which directly support the Ocado Solutions division, and take the next step in what will be an amazing career with us.
Learn about our partnership with Kroger:
- Kroger Bets on Robots With Ocado Deal
- Meet Ocado, Kroger’s Newest Weapon in Its Grocery Delivery War with Amazon and Walmart
- Check out this video about our advanced robotics technology
Ocado is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, veteran’s status, or any other classification as required by applicable law.