About Ocado Technology
“We are on a mission: to transform the future of online grocery through cutting-edge technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is changing the way the world shops using advanced Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Robotics, Big Data, Cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond.
We build everything in-house: from intelligent, frictionless e-commerce platforms to highly automated warehouses, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies. We’re working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast-growing, global company. Today we have colleagues in development centre across the world - London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria), Barcelona (Spain), Stockholm (Sweden), Las Vegas, San Francisco (USA) and Toronto (Canada).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
About the Senior Product Manager role
How will I spend my days...
You will lead a group of Product Managers within the Asset Handling Automation department to develop our goods to person automation; iterating existing products and creating new ones too. The Asset Handling Automation department is responsible for the physical automation that powers our highly efficient Customer Fulfilment Centres. You will partner directly with Engineering Managers sharing accountability for key decisions, achieving commitments to the delivery plan and providing constructive challenges to focus effort on the missions that are important for Ocado Technology.
Your responsibility will focus on...
- Partnering with Engineering Managers and being the go-to person for a broad product area within Asset Handling Automation.
- Responsibility for building, developing and managing a high performing team of Product Managers within the department, breaking down goals and delegating into clear plans.
- Actively ensuring that the product vision is, and continues to be, fit for purpose.
- Role models behaviours and actively applies Ocado Technology principles daily.
- Providing product knowledge and a sound understanding of customer needs and capability requirements, signposting to technical knowledge where needed.
- Understanding overall platform performance & how products support this including interdependencies with other systems.
- Monitoring progress against goals, looking for ways to improve the product & make adjustments based on strategic goals.
Insight & Innovation
- Actively looking for opportunities in creating incremental value when achieving set product goal commitments
- Developing a good understanding of trends, patterns and feedback to continuously refine the product roadmap with key stakeholders.
- Setting culture of pace and innovation, empowering teams to deliver fast to accelerate learning.
- Setting expectations within Technology for pace of delivery required to achieve goals.
- Maintaining a backlog of planned work, linked to a goal, and its order of priority for delivery purposes at an appropriate level of granularity.
- Supporting Product Managers to scope & prioritise stories to maximise business value using products.
- Maintains teams focus on delivering value and a high quality product, balancing multiple requirements & schedules.
- Facilitating the agile processes and removes obstacles in workflow wherever required.
- Managing stakeholders effectively to gather feedback to continuously refine the product roadmap.
- Creating alignment between stakeholders, design, and engineering across multiple teams.
- Collaborating with PMs/EMs in planning sessions, challenging appropriately to meet product goals.
- Liaising with the stream Product function to share knowledge, define the realisation process and policies that govern it.
- Championing and facilitating collaboration between the Handling Robotics teams across multiple locations to ensure streamlined product delivery.
- Recommending product improvements based on analysis drawn from data, systems and customer behaviour.
- Evangelizes and embeds best practices in tracking, analysis, user experience design, and data-driven problem solving across multiple teams.
We would like to hear from you if you have...
- Experience as a Product Manager across multiple products
- Previous experience leading high performing product teams and working alongside engineering to execute and deliver a vision successfully
- Fluency in English, both spoken and written
- Knowledge of the design and development of industrial automation or working with industrial control systems
- Data-driven in decision making
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Highly organised and able to plan, manage, track and deliver effectively
It would be great, but it's not essential if you have...
- Other relevant domain experience with automation, robotics, industrial internet of things (IIoT) or embedded systems
- Previously worked as a product manager for physical products
- Comfortable blending agile principles into waterfall programmes
- Knowledge of multiple functional areas, including product management, engineering, UX/UI, human factors, or regulatory compliance
What we can offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Hatfield Train Station to the Hatfield offices [Only include for relevant roles]
- Free shuttle bus to and from Welwyn Garden City Train Station to the Welwyn Garden City offices [Only include for relevant roles]
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years) and Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.