“Ocado Technology, powering the future through sustained disruptive technology innovation...”
What does the team do?
Collaborate on ground-breaking technologies at the most disruptive, cutting-edge of Ocado’s business. We’re building a new smart hardware team, in an exciting lab space right in the heart of Stockholm.
Ocado Technology disrupted retail by making online grocery scalable, sustainable, and profitable. Having made the impossible possible, we’re now exploring innovative applications of our technologies to disrupt new industries. This new team will design and build systems to enable more efficient automation products. That means everything from devices to enhance our state-of-the-art robotic facilities, to environment and crop handling in vertical farms.
The successful candidate will embrace the opportunity to work in a collaborative research environment, knowing their ideas are valued and that their work will see real products put into production environments.
What would I be doing?
This role aims to cover a variety of projects, ranging from high-level python scripts to embedded C programming. Emphasis is on automation, problem-solving and flexibility. As part of the advanced prototyping team you should be comfortable working in a number of different roles:
- as a programmer scripting procedural data generation and improving continuous integration pipelines
- as a designer creating scenes and animations for application in Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning;
- as a data engineer scripting data cleaning and analysis
- as a tester running prototypes and collecting test and validation data;
- as an inventor, being part of the creative process that drives new concepts and innovations;
The role will cover a wide variety of tasks and regular interactions with other members of the team. In particular, collaboration with AI specialists to improve and automate existing data collection pipelines and design new methods to increase the datasets’ quality. The desire to acquire new skills and interest in emergent technologies are key. Good communication skills are essential, as is attention to detail and ability to reason about and verify results.
What are we looking for?
We see the following as ‘must haves’:
- Good knowledge of Python and C
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Flexible and keen to learn new skills
Having these will make you stand out from the crowd:
- Knowledge of game engine technology
- Experience with Linux and Bash scripting
- Knowledge of Git
- Interest in Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning/Computer Vision
- Background in data engineering
- Experience with OpenCV
- Experience with Pytorch/Tensorflow
This is not a set-in-stone requirements list. We recognise the software industry is filled with smart people from many different backgrounds. If you enjoy being part of a team and if you like: learning fast (through experimentation, self-motivation etc); being autonomous but able to collaborate (sharing knowledge is important to us); craftsmanship and innovation (we never stop questioning how we can be better), then we look forward to hearing from you.
What do we offer you?
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, and a competitive salary.
We operate out of a dedicated lab facility on the island of Långholmen.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, our vacancy close dates may be subject to change. Ocado is an equal opportunity employer.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.